S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Paint and Wax questions

Old 10-18-2000, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of questions for you guys:

1) Is the red used on the S2000's clearcoated?

2) Has anyone had a problem with the red paint peeling from the factory? Ive got an issue (waiting to see the district rep about it) where the paint on the edge of the front bumper cover, next to each of the headlights is peeling ever so slightly.

3) I've heard talk of Zaino and Finish First here. Where would I buy those, and which performs better, especially with regard to the light scratches that the dealership's detailers so kindly left for me.

4) Where would I buy plexus as well? And how does plexus perform compared to Meguiars Plastic Cleaner and Polish, which I already have?

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2000, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by pellisS2k:

1) Is the red used on the S2000's clearcoated?
Yes, Honda uses clearcoat on all of their cars.

[QUOTE][B]
2) Has anyone had a problem with the red paint peeling from the factory?
Old 10-18-2000, 11:16 AM

Hey TFota, are you the first to hit third gear? Do you have a job?
Old 10-18-2000, 11:17 AM

I use the Zaino Z-1, Z-2, Z-6, and Z-7 which make the car look fantastic. Haven't used the Finish First.

Check out http://www.zainobros.com

Also check out http://www.autofanatics.com which is where I purchased the Plexus
Old 10-18-2000, 11:20 AM
Banned

I have the paint peel and will also wait another two years to get it fixed. It is a common problem.

Check out Zymol before you go with the other products.

Plexus can be bought from a variety of on-line retailers. Just look around, but try the sponsors at any of the s2000 related sites.
Old 10-18-2000, 12:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

PellisS2K, I have been meaning to post this problem. The paint on the front bumper cover where it joins with the fenders is so tight that the paint is cracking and starting to peel. I took it to Lute Riley Honda in Dallas and they have offered to give me the Body Shop Foreman for the day to remove cover, repair paint, and realign the bumper with proper spacing. BTW, it is only cracking on the drivers side, the passengers side has a slight gap. Also check around your headlights, I would be willing to bet they are rubbing against the bumper cover and removing paint as well.
Old 10-18-2000, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by pellisS2k:

4) Where would I buy plexus as well? And how does plexus perform compared to Meguiars Plastic Cleaner and Polish, which I already have?

No paint problems, lucky I guess. I don't have experience with Meguiars specifically, but the Eagle One cleaner I have been using is a runny paste (don't know how else to describe it). Just picked up some Plexus which comes in a aerosol can. Haven't used the Plexus yet.
Old 10-18-2000, 12:28 PM

Started out using Meguiars and then went to
Plexus. Meguiars is more difficult to work with. If you get any on the top material it will stain it white. Plexus works great. I also put it on my head and tail light covers
after washing my car.
Old 10-18-2000, 03:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can also get finish first from the sponsor link at honda-acura.net-
i wonder when those sponsors are joining this board? if you order from them, suggest that they consider it...
Old 10-18-2000, 03:59 PM

I have both Meguiar's and Plexus. Plexus is definitely easier and cleaner to use. Especially after routine car washes. However, if you have deeper scratches, you'll most likey need to use Meguiar's to make any difference. I have found that Plexus is simply a cleaner, not a polish.

You can get Plexus at some motorcycle/marine dealers as well as online....www.autopia-carcare.com

Mike

[This message has been edited by MHK S2000 (edited October 18, 2000).]

Quick Reply: Paint and Wax questions