S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Owners Selling OEM/Stock Parts

Old 03-19-2013, 09:07 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Owners Selling OEM/Stock Parts

When I started mildly modifying my S2K, I was anal about cleaning and storing the OEM parts (exhaust, wheels, springs, floor mats, etc.). Still am. I've even picked up some extra OEM parts for free or next to nothing along the way. I want to be able to be 100% stock again for whatever reason. It just seems crazy to me to buy aftermarket parts and immediately sell your OEM parts.

-What if you want to sell the car one day (most buyers want stock car and/or stock parts)?
-What if you get tired of your mods and want to change back to stock?
-What if one of your aftermarket parts breaks?

I'm not complaining about this (although if I were in the market for another S2K, it could be frustrating), but just making an observation. I guess some people need the cash to keep modifying, but maybe those people should be saving/spending their money elsewhere anyway. Maybe other owners have accumulated extra parts through the years... that would be a reasonable explanation.

I don't know; it just seems a bit irrational to me.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not entirely sure that it is always about the money. Space limitations can cause someone to sell their OEM parts. Plus, used OEM parts are readily available in the market when you need them. It isn't difficult to find an OEM radio, air box, or exhaust to convert back to stock.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:32 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Makes sense to me to keep the OEM parts. I believe it is easier to sell as stock, and you'll get more for the mods selling them separately.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:55 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
Makes sense to me to keep the OEM parts. I believe it is easier to sell as stock, and you'll get more for the mods selling them separately.
This
Old 03-19-2013, 03:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I sold just about every OEM piece I replaced on my last S2000. Not because I was scoring some crazy money, but because I had no room for most of the stuff... bumpers, wheels, etc.

Body panels are one thing, but finding OEM wheels, intakes, along with other smaller parts, is extremely easy to come across on this site.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:10 PM

everything on my car is almost cr so i can say i upgraded and didn't devalue the car.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VilleS2K
I've kept all of mine but assuming that everyone's needs/wants are identical to your own seems irrational to me. Some don't have the space to store the stuff. Some aren't looking to stockpile parts whether they have the space or not. Some don't care about returning to stock. Some don't obsess over resale value. Some have other reasons. Be careful calling that which doesn't meet your preferences "irrational". Rational people can reach entirely different decisions.

-What if you want to sell the car one day (most buyers want stock car and/or stock parts)?
Buy the stock parts -- or another aftermarket part for the third question.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess would be space limitations. Also, OEM parts are easy to come by, so there's no need to really hoard them.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr.60trim
My guess would be space limitations. Also, OEM parts are easy to come by, so there's no need to really hoard them.

This.

I sold off a few of my OEM parts because I didn't have the space to keep them. OEM parts for these cars are a dime a dozen, so if you're in a position where you don't have a place for them, it makes perfect sense.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by takeshi
Originally Posted by VilleS2K' timestamp='1363712848' post='22413607
I've kept all of mine but assuming that everyone's needs/wants are identical to your own seems irrational to me. Some don't have the space to store the stuff. Some aren't looking to stockpile parts whether they have the space or not. Some don't care about returning to stock. Some don't obsess over resale value. Some have other reasons. Be careful calling that which doesn't meet your preferences "irrational". Rational people can reach entirely different decisions.

Buy the stock parts -- or another aftermarket part for the third question.
You assuming that I assumed that everyone's needs/wants are idential to my own is irrational in itself. I wouldn't have started the thread if I assumed that. Thanks for all your sentences that start with "Some."

Quick Reply: Owners Selling OEM/Stock Parts