S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Oversteer?

Old 11-22-2000, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you do to recover from a non-throttle oversteer, like going into the corner too fast. Or you transfer the weights of the car too much to the front in a corner like Trail-Braking or just hitting the brake in the middle of a corner while at the limit?
Old 11-22-2000, 01:32 AM

Entering a corner too fast does not usually produce oversteer. It causes understeer. Braking hard too late into a turn will induce oversteer. Best advice is not to do it. Should you fail to follow this, get on the gas a little (or a lot) and hope that wheel spin in combination with a slight amount of countersteer will pull you out. Otherwise its Spin City.
I spin on at least one run out of 4 at each Autocross I have attended. Fun though.
On public streets, just SLOW THE *uck down. I drive as fast as anyone (110+ is normal on the highway) but around city streets with other cars, pedestrians, etc is no place to test the limits of handling for any car.

John
Old 11-22-2000, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by john f:
I spin on at least one run out of 4 at each Autocross I have attended. Fun though. On public streets, just SLOW THE *uck down. I drive as fast as anyone (110+ is normal on the highway) but around city streets with other cars, pedestrians, etc is no place to test the limits of handling for any car.

110+ is normal? Boy, you must be supporting several municipalities all by yourself.
Old 11-22-2000, 03:04 AM
Bieg

Call your insurance agent.
Old 11-22-2000, 08:12 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Shortly after I got my car I found that if I turned a corner quickly under steady throttle that I could induce oversteer by straightening my front wheels too quickly. In other words if I snapped the front wheels straight the front of the car would hook up and grip while the rear could not hook up as quickly and would continue into rapid and serious oversteer.

While I am a member of the school who feels that the S2K does have something of an oversteer problem I quickly realized that this car rewards smooth inputs and penalizes foolish or jerky inputs. Even though I knew better I was quickly jerking or snatching the front wheels straight instead of smoothly turning the wheels and I was paying the price.

To somewhat answer your question I suggest that you complete your braking before your turn, (slow in, fast out) and use smooth motions with both your hands and feet. I would also suggest that you find a drivers school or autocross so that you can practice in a safe environment. AutoXer's are a friendly bunch and you should have no problems finding a local "hotshoe" to help you out and give you great advice.
Old 11-22-2000, 10:24 AM

I totally agree with CG. By being smooth you maintain control and drop times even if it feels slower. Taking every turn sideways is not the fastest way around a track and you risk taking a off road excursion.

The S2K is a very sensitive car to driver input (steering/gas/braking).

If you are not use to RWD, trail braking and oversteer always finish your braking in a straight line so you don't upset the chassis when you turn the steering wheel. Also follow CGs advice of slow in, fast out and find your limits progresively.

It's all about weight transfer. If you entered way too fast you may not be able to correct as you surpassed the grip of all tires.

If you entered a little faster and start loosing grip because you are off the throttle or braking you have to put some load on the rears by applying gas, but you have to do it very precisely and SMOOTH so you don't induce power oversteer and break traction.

As you apply gas coming off the apex unwind the steering wheel SMOOTHLY.

All these techniques take practice so I encourage you to take some kind of track course or go to one of the racing schools.
Old 11-22-2000, 01:58 PM

Ivs2k,
Have V1, so I never get a ticket.

John
Old 11-22-2000, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by john f:
Ivs2k,
Have V1, so I never get a ticket.

John
Damn. That's confidence in your hardware.