S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

over rev'd on my car

Old 02-20-2006, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Mikes256, fuel cutoff will not keep the engine from spinning to 12,500 rpm. Hence mechanical overrev.

I encourage you to send billman250 a pm about this subject. He knows what he is talking about, as he has seen alot of this(being an s2k mechanic).

I guarantee you toasted your retainers. The f20c valvetrain is not designed to handle anything north 10k. I read somewhere that Honda stated that retainers start to crack and fail around 10,750 rpm.

IMO, you should have your retainers thoroughly inspected if not flat out replaced ASAP.

Chris
Old 02-20-2006, 11:20 AM

You beat me to it S2000Negas!
Old 02-20-2006, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you overrev? Well, when you drop into 2nd at 90, the rev limiter won't do you any good. The moving mass of the car just pulls the engine revs right up into "no-no" territory. I like to think of this as a "passive" overrev as the engine isn't doing it. The moving mass plus a gear too low is doing it.

Your rev limiter protects you should you, for instance, start out in 1st, floor it, and just forget to shift. This would be "active" overrev caused by the engine, and the rev limiter won't allow it.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 02-20-2006, 11:50 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by dolebludger,Feb 20 2006, 03:25 PM
How do you overrev? Well, when you drop into 2nd at 90, the rev limiter won't do you any good. The moving mass of the car just pulls the engine revs right up into "no-no" territory. I like to think of this as a "passive" overrev as the engine isn't doing it. The moving mass plus a gear too low is doing it.

Your rev limiter protects you should you, for instance, start out in 1st, floor it, and just forget to shift. This would be "active" overrev caused by the engine, and the rev limiter won't allow it.

Thanks,
Richard
That man knows his stuff.!!!
Old 02-20-2006, 11:58 AM

Guys the same thing happened to me 4 months ago.I'll admit I'm no race car driver and I usually have to replace my clutch qicker than most.

Anyway I was entering an exit leading into the highway and there were alot a cars flying by.I was on first redlined it ,went to 2nd redlined it,went to third was doing near 100 then dropped into into 2nd by accident.The car basically stopped in midair it was a weird feeling and I heard a bang in the engine.Then the engine light came on and I lost alot of power but was able to make it home.

Next day I went to my mechanic and he hooked my car up to the computer it showed I broke 2 valves.He said I was lucky the pistons didn't go through the roof.It cost me $1300.

I dont race anymore and I only push it when I'm on 5th gear.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:12 PM

I never overreved, but I did do things like getting 2nd when I was looking for 4th --- well below the rev limit as to "passive overreving". But a bit disconcerting and perhaps dangerous as well.

For me, one of those shorter shift knobs such as is sold by Voodoo or Muz was the answer. The shorter throw helps me to feel the centering spring and better know where I am and where I'm going shift-wise. I have not missed a shift since installing one of these. With the higher and longer stock shifter, it was vague to me, so I did misshift sometimes.

Ergonomics (the science of the relatiohship between the human body and the controls) will vary with body size and shape. But for me, a shorter shifter would have been a great thing had it come from the factory.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 02-20-2006, 12:46 PM

In a nut shell, Rev Limiter does not protect against mechanical over revs. Mechanical over revs while damage your retainers (i.e. cracking) which will fail at any give time, whether you are racing 3 weeks from now or going 40mph in 5th gear tomorrow. Remove your valve cover and inspect the retainers for cracks or damage or rising up on the valves. Chances are you need atleast one retainer replaced as most S2000 over revved twice or more needs.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

a mechanical overrev (caused by a mis shift) is not prevented by fuel cut off.. the diff is driving the trans, which in turn drives the engine so it can spin up without limit.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

haha. what did I come in.. 5th? 6th?
Old 02-20-2006, 12:52 PM

It was a mechanical over rev. The limiter provides zero protection in that case.

Quick Reply: over rev'd on my car