S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

over rev'd on my car

Old 02-23-2006, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wisconsin:

No, I don't think so, as my sports car before the s2k wasn't that old. I do agree that the s2k has the #1 rated shifter, acording to several top car mags, and I think it is the smoothest shifter ever made, period. I can UPSHIFT in such a manner that my passenger thinks I have an auto trans! It is on the downshift that the problems arise. Before I effectively shortened my shifter length with a Voodoo knob (cut down a bit further), I had problems differentiating between 2nd and 4th on downshifts. And this can be a big problem! With the shortened shifter and resulting stronger centering spring feel, I just pull it out of 6th or 5th, and the shifter "self centers" right where 4th is down and 3rd is up. Again, I would wish for an even stronger centering spring to guide me on downshifts. Wish somebody would make such a "mod."

Corvettes have devices that prevent the driver from shifting into certain gears under certain conditions. So we know that such things exist. It would be very nice if our s2ks had similar devices to prevent accidental downshifts and the resulting overrevs.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 02-23-2006, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know what is a reasonable price to have their valve and valve retainers checked?
Old 02-23-2006, 06:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dolebludger,Feb 23 2006, 07:45 PM
Wisconsin:

No, I don't think so, as my sports car before the s2k wasn't that old. I do agree that the s2k has the #1 rated shifter, acording to several top car mags, and I think it is the smoothest shifter ever made, period. I can UPSHIFT in such a manner that my passenger thinks I have an auto trans! It is on the downshift that the problems arise. Before I effectively shortened my shifter length with a Voodoo knob (cut down a bit further), I had problems differentiating between 2nd and 4th on downshifts. And this can be a big problem! With the shortened shifter and resulting stronger centering spring feel, I just pull it out of 6th or 5th, and the shifter "self centers" right where 4th is down and 3rd is up. Again, I would wish for an even stronger centering spring to guide me on downshifts. Wish somebody would make such a "mod."

Corvettes have devices that prevent the driver from shifting into certain gears under certain conditions. So we know that such things exist. It would be very nice if our s2ks had similar devices to prevent accidental downshifts and the resulting overrevs.

Thanks,
Richard
corvettes dont have anything that prevent you from causing a mechanical over rev. they have a tranny that does, however, force skip shifting depending on how you are accelerating, and other such things.

to my knowledge, no car on the planet has a transmission that "locks out" a gear once you go beyond it's top capable speed (with the exception of 1st gear).

that said, I guess we just disagree. I dont have any problem downshifting at all either, and after 5 years, i've never mis-selected a gear. I just have a hard time understanding how someone can blame a missed shift on the car. I understand the gates are closer than most (after all, it's the shortest throw from gear to gear of any car in the world), but I still won't fault the car for anyone else's mistake. just my opinion.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:57 PM

No, we don't disagree at all. Those learning to drive the s2k need to start out slow, when it comes to downshifting. For upshifting, give 'er Hell! I just feel that a stronger centering spring on the shifter, and a shorter shifter height, would help with downshifting. And I merely suggest that the same technology that locks out upshifts on the 'Vette could be used to lock out some downshifts on the s2k. But I don't think Honda has done anything wrong, or anything like that. Just suggestions for improvement.

And I think we will agree on this statemetn: Guys/Girls --- learn how to downshift at LOW speeds and at LOW rpms before going gunning around. You are now driving a "near-racing" car, which you can easily ruin by a mistake that takes one second. I'll stand by my opinion --- upshifting is the easiest and best in the world, period. Downshifting? Be afraid -- be very, very afraid! If you have a problem feeling the centering spring, right between 4th (down) and 3rd (up) for orientation, get a Voodo or Muz knob which will allow you to "feel" this better. And work on downshifts before you try it in any kind of competition.

Well short of some kind of "reverse Vette" lockout feature, I just wish somebody would offer a stronger centering spring that I could buy and mod my car with it. After 42 years of driving stick shift sports cars, this would still help me with this one!

Thanks,
Richard
Old 02-23-2006, 07:54 PM

Its just like the celicas and rsx-s' when they first came out. It was the the first time anyone could get such a good shifter for such a little amount of money. There were so many misshifts that toyota moved the gates farther apart. I love the s2000 shifter and think that you just have to slow down a bit. Most people are coming from a shifter that feels like mush so its definetly a transition when moving to the s2000.

or in this case a friend joyriding.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:02 PM

Yes, it is like a musical instument you must first learn to play, or else hit some "sour notes". Especially on the downshifts. Hope they don't make the gates wider --- just make the centering spring stronger and lower the shifter shaft.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 02-23-2006, 10:32 PM

I think the last generation prelude, B16, B18c and SR20DET trans shifted smoother than the S2000. Come to think of it, even my 99 frontier shifts smoother, but then again the frontier will NOT shift at high rpms, you have to wait for the rpms to drop a bit

I'n my frontier I can shift every gear without using the clutch, same with the B16&B18c trans, well im many cars I can upshift and downshift without using the clutch, but not in the S2000. Might not be a good argument because you don't use the clutch on big rigs either lol

The S2000 trans feels notchy, I don't mean DSM notchy, but still kinda notchy.

Once you get used to the gears it's pretty easy, same thing with getting sideways, once your used to it getting sideways it become predictable

Maybe it's just me, I dunno
Old 02-23-2006, 10:49 PM

wat happens if you just miss second from first, accidently put it in neutral and step on the gas, like STEP on the gas?
Old 02-23-2006, 10:51 PM

Well, I can't comment on cars that can shift without using the clutch, as the last one I encountered was my ex-wife's '63 Studebaker that could do so because it has "free wheeling" (damn, I miss that Studebaker!). And the Stude. was a bit slow in doing so, like it was in everything else.

Actually, in upshifting, the s2k is a "worldbeater." In downshifting, I only wish she had a bit stonger centering spring, to let me know where I am and here I am trying to go.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 02-23-2006, 11:08 PM

davidkim:

In the case you mention, the engine will hit the rev limiter, the fuel will cut off, and the engine won't overrev.

Thanks,
Richard

Quick Reply: over rev'd on my car