S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

In order for DOT legal racing tires to stay the same price... click on this

Old 05-24-2002, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In order for DOT legal racing tires to stay the same price... click on this

To everyone using DOT approved racing tires... this is a little FYI. If you have the time please click on this website.

Thanks!

http://www.hoosiertire.com/fmvsshlp.HTM
Old 05-24-2002, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I filed my comments
Old 05-24-2002, 09:37 AM

I filed a response also.
Old 05-24-2002, 09:38 AM

Damn Ford Explorers.
Old 05-24-2002, 01:14 PM

Done!
Old 05-24-2002, 01:23 PM

Mine is in! Thanks for posting this!
Old 05-24-2002, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My comments:

As a motorsport enthusiast it's important to me that specialty tires be available at a reasonable price. These changes would have an adverse impact on us. Tires such as DOT approved competition tires are not typically driven on the street and have a very short life span. As a purchaser of such tires several times a year I understand what I'm buying and why. They are clearly indicated as such by all manufactureres who make them and they are specifically labelled as not for normal road use. There needs to be a exception for such tires to keep an already expensive hobby affordable.

On a personal note I understand that legislators need to legislate but this is entirely unnecessary and wholly political. I'm quite sure the tire and auto industry has learned enough from the Ford/Firestone disaster to prevent it from happening again in the future. How exactly will such legislation make things better? I think the multi-billion dollar loss suffered by those who made and sold the defective tires is motivation enough to stop it happening again. Somebody has decided to take credit for "fixing" the problem when in fact the problem is already solved. This is a solution to a problem that once existed and no longer does. Once again government finds it necessary to close the barn door after the cows have left.

As a tax payer I'd be more than satisfied if the result of the millions of dollars you spent on consultants, studies and reports thicker than a NYC phone book was "lesson learned, problem solved". I guess I can only dream...
Old 05-24-2002, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by cthree
My comments:

As a motorsport enthusiast it's important to me that specialty tires be available at a reasonable price. These changes would have an adverse impact on us. Tires such as DOT approved competition tires are not typically driven on the street and have a very short life span. As a purchaser of such tires several times a year I understand what I'm buying and why. They are clearly indicated as such by all manufactureres who make them and they are specifically labelled as not for normal road use. There needs to be a exception for such tires to keep an already expensive hobby affordable.

On a personal note I understand that legislators need to legislate but this is entirely unnecessary and wholly political. I'm quite sure the tire and auto industry has learned enough from the Ford/Firestone disaster to prevent it from happening again in the future. How exactly will such legislation make things better? I think the multi-billion dollar loss suffered by those who made and sold the defective tires is motivation enough to stop it happening again. Somebody has decided to take credit for "fixing" the problem when in fact the problem is already solved. This is a solution to a problem that once existed and no longer does. Once again government finds it necessary to close the barn door after the cows have left.

As a tax payer I'd be more than satisfied if the result of the millions of dollars you spent on consultants, studies and reports thicker than a NYC phone book was "lesson learned, problem solved". I guess I can only dream...

Sorry to be religious... but AMEN.