S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Is the optional Honda Alarm kit worth while?

Old 09-04-2003, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oem alarm is nice only because it is plug 'n play, covered by warranty, and works with honda key fobs / door locks. no wires to cut, etc. it is ok.

overpriced and not the best system.

mine was negotiated into the sales price. "freebie" as i was walking out of the showroom with my checkbook in hand at the end of the month.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:14 AM

Has anyone added a siren to the OEM system? How hard is this to do? I hate the horn sound when locking the car (too loud) and would rather have a siren.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard from a couple people who have integrated a generic radar sensor into the OEM alarm hood pin connection. This gives proximity security with the reliability and ease of install of the OEM system.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:11 PM

Hardtopguy.com has it for 66% off list, or $148. bucks.

Can't beat that for cheap security...
Old 09-05-2003, 01:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer "packs" lot cars with this for $1500!

I said no way when i ordered my 2004 - they balked, then relented. Personally, i think they are worthless - who pays attention to them, and they are iriitating.

I find it personally annoying when people have to have their cars honk, beep, whoop, whatever every time they lock. I set up the one on my car that came standard just to confirm with "lights".
Old 09-05-2003, 01:59 PM

Check out the new ones guys with 2 way long range pagers, they're not that expensive, and it tells you when it goes off.

Not useless!
Old 09-05-2003, 07:54 PM

I just checked out the hardtopguy guys website and found the OEM alarm for 148 but it also show a Attachment Kit, which states that it is "required for new installs" for an additional 114. What is this about? and a Hood Switch Kit for another 52 buck. Just when I was ready to spring for the 148, out jump another169 for a grand total 314. What do you get for 148, and why is a attachment kit required for new install? Why would you buy their hood switch when everyone seems to be changing it to some other kind?
Old 09-05-2003, 09:11 PM

I installed the OEM alarm in mine (super easy and absolutely plug and play) and added a DEI proximity sensor under the armrest in the center console and also a DEI shock sensor. Works great and still keeps OEM remotes. I bought mine super cheap from another member here and haven't looked back. Sure there are better systems out there but I have all I need with this one. My car is always either garaged or within eye shot so I'm not too worried anyway. But as it has been stated above, no one really even pays attention to them anyway. Another main reason I like the OEM setup is the stock horn instead of a siren that sounds like every other alarm out there. Our horn is pretty damn loud in it's stock form and seems to work great for me with the security system.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The advantage of the OEM system would be that it's OEM and may help the resale a little better. I know when I look at used I don't like vehicles that have aftermarket stuff.

I like the idea of how others have added prox sensors to the OEM system, if I had it to do again I probably would do this since I don't really use my 2-way setup out here in the woods.
Old 09-06-2003, 07:03 AM

If there is a visual warning that an alarm is present, there is a good possibility that some punks (who aren't pros) are going to avoid trying
to steal the car (or take yer seats) and move on to the next easy target without such a visual clue. If that indeed, happens, you've saved yourself a $500 deductible from a ripped hood or etc and the alarm paid for itself in that ONE instance. Who knows in the lifetime of your loan, how often such a scenario would play out.
Pros will take your car no matter what you have but I've always felt systems were to spoil the punks, not the pros.

Quick Reply: Is the optional Honda Alarm kit worth while?