S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

OK, who has the hot tip for garage floors?

Old 06-04-2001, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a painted cement floor in the garage now but I am thinking about tiling it or something else? I am tired of the paint chipping and peeling up. I was fine until I got the Stook but those sticky, hot S02s just peel that shit right up.

Anyone have any tips/photos of their shrine...err I mean garage?
Old 06-04-2001, 07:49 AM

My plan has been forbidden by my wife, so it ain't gonna happen. But I just loved the photos in some car magazine of a garage tiled in large black and white sqaures in a checkerboard pattern. My office building is constructed on a concrete slab with linoleum glued to the concrete, and I figure my garage wouldn't really be different (except that the garage floor is exposed to slightly more extremes of cold, moisture, salt, and other grime than my office floor). I sure would love to make it so. I'll have to take satisfaction from photos of co-stookers who have. Waiting with baited breath (yech!)...
Old 06-04-2001, 08:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My brother has a tiled garage floor and I think it is great. I know someone who put down indoor-outdoor carpet and as long as you avoid oil spills it is pretty nice. It seems to me that even the high quality painted floors give up eventually.
Old 06-04-2001, 08:12 AM
pfb

There are paints that can be applied to garage floors that won't peel, but they are expensive and require very a very specific application process. Firestations, for example, are far harder on their floors than hot S02's on a 2,000 pound car, and many of them are painted.

Check out Griots garage for some paint and tile options.

I'm sure the stuff is available less expensively elsewhere, but they have some good info on their web site.

http://www.griotsgarage.com
Old 06-04-2001, 08:15 AM

Also try http://www.ultimategarage.com.

I also remember an article in European Car and Sport Compact Car about a multi stage rubberized floor covering that absolutely did not chip or peel. Try a search at gr8ride.com for the article.
Old 06-04-2001, 08:58 AM

I bought some 1'x 1" hard plastic interlocking squares (can't remember the name), and did my garage in green and black (4' x 4' squares). It looks very smart, but they're not really practical because they're a pain to take up if you spill something (which goes through the tiny holes).

I just did a search for garage floor mats and came up with several choices. This one looks like a good choice: http://www.tbyrnemotorsports.com/garagefloormats.html
Old 06-04-2001, 09:50 AM

Modular Carpet tile is perfect solution-I got them free from an office who was having new carpet installed. Just a vaccum.
Old 06-04-2001, 09:55 AM

Here is a link to more tiles, ones that I am considering for my garage:

http://www.motormat.com/main.html
Old 06-04-2001, 10:07 AM

Try the paint that is used on military ships. It will not come off with what you would be using it for.

Lance
Old 06-04-2001, 10:13 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lanbrown
[B]Try the paint that is used on military ships.

Quick Reply: OK, who has the hot tip for garage floors?