S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Ok, any news on hardtop availability?

Old 12-13-2000, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1Y2KS2K,your hardtop was picked up from our supplier a couplr of weeks ago,we are waiting news from shipping company for ETA.
Yes,it should include the switch.
Giampiero
MG RACING
Old 12-13-2000, 01:47 PM

Hi, I'm in England, it might be raining now but I had the roof down yesterday. Difficult to believe you can't easily get hard tops. Main Dealers over here have just started supplying, they say it's a one off factory fit then a 5 minute job to get it on or off. I don't know how the chassis numbering works in the US but if your car is before :

JHMAP11004T004342

then you'll need a little extra wiring or something so that the rear heated window will work properly. Any cars younger than this are properly fitted when sold.

Only thing a mate had a Z3 with a hard top but he wasn't happy with it, he said it was bloody heavy and a 2 man job to put on or take off. Whats 40lbs in English? Could I take it off on my own without getting a hernia??

Cheers

Ivor
Old 12-13-2000, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Ivor Rao:
Only thing a mate had a Z3 with a hard top but he wasn't happy with it, he said it was bloody heavy and a 2 man job to put on or take off. Whats 40lbs in English?
Conversion factor is 2.2lbs/1kg. That'll make it around 18kg.

Old 12-13-2000, 06:12 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ivor Rao:
[B]Whats 40lbs in English? Could I take it off on my own without getting a hernia??

Cheers

Ivor
Old 12-13-2000, 06:14 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

40 lbs = 2.857143 Stones

Is that English enough for ya? j/k
Old 12-14-2000, 06:53 AM

The piece which is missing from the MG racing group buy is not the switch (which is supplied) but the plastic insert to the console cover into which the switch fits. In US models this is currently occupied by a sort of card or change holder. Everywhere else that has the Hardtop usuallu has the headlight washers installed, where the control switch for that function requires that the switch receptacle that I described is already in place with a kock out blank for the heated rear window switch. Giampiero has promised to ship this to me but it has been almost 5 weeks (perhaps it is with the 3 piece floor mats!).

The hardtop instal is not that difficult and consistes of the following:

Remove hangers for accessory bags on rear trim below roll bars on R & L.

Remove interior trim panel below roll bars R & L

Remove door sill trim R & L

Remove R & L rear quarter int trim panels.

Attach R & L receiving brackets for hard top rear attachment with supplied bolts above r & L top motors.

Locate Hartop wiring Harness connector (Grey and taped to rear wiring Harness on left side above fuel filler tube).

Pass rear window option plug and wiring harness (supplied) through new or old left rear interior trim panel (Hole at top).

Connect rear window option wiring harness to, Hartop wiring Harness connector and hartop detection switch wire from left rear hartop receivng bracket.

replace all trim panels.

Remove and disconnect map light / courtesy light.

Remove upper windshield interior trim parts (center, right and left).

Replace front hardtop / softop attachement clips / hooks with supplied new parts.

Replace trim and light.

Loosen adjustment bolts on hardtop attachemnt fittings.

Lower hardtop in place using instruction in English supplied by Honda.

Lock front attachment points (as you would if you were fastening the soft top).

Lock in rear attachments, then adjust rear attachments point for a good watertight seal.

I don't know how to complete the rest of the wiring and I haven't installed the switch because I am waiting for Giampiero to ship me the trim part.

The hardtop works and looks great. I have pix but I was waiting to get the switch and the rest of the wiring complete before I posted them, but current interest seems so high.
Old 12-14-2000, 10:34 AM

Ok, any news on hardtop availability?
I wanted to buy a hardtop for the winter but Honda Sweden says Japan is having a hard time producing enough to go around (many more cars and hardtops sold than Honda anticipated). Current guess says hardtop will be available in Sweden in March/April 2001. But by then it's almost top-down time again.

Old 12-14-2000, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the explicit instructions covkid48. At least I can now picture what's involved when mine gets here in a couple of weeks. Sounds pretty intensive stuff. There doesn't appear to be an drilling involved, which is good news.

I don't know where all these hardtops are going, but a friend of mine just spent a week in Tokyo and never saw one S2K. I thought he'd see lots running around there.

Old 12-14-2000, 01:01 PM

Covkid48;yes you right,we immediatly ordered
the missing piece but our supplier (he told
me a week delivery time first)reply that the piece will be sent by Japan,all the countries where the hardtop is available dont stock this piece because it comes already with the car.
1Y2KS2K;the main reason because Honda did not make available as yet the hardtop in the USA is because they will not be able to satisfy demand.When they will feel confortable about that you will see that they will start to sell them.
Giampiero
MG RACING
Old 12-14-2000, 01:13 PM

COVKID48;Can you please post some pictures,thanks.
Giampiero

Quick Reply: Ok, any news on hardtop availability?