S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

oil question on new car

Old 07-31-2005, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Jul 31 2005, 09:24 PM
right. take a trip through the oil journals and then come back and give us your smart ass comments.
I've read it all and I still feel that as long as you change your oil at consistent intervals (be it dino or syn oil), you should have no problems. Everytime someone posts one of these thread the same shit always happens, people claiming synthetic is bad for the engine before a certain amount of miles. Where is the proof? Where are the threads about people's engines blowing up because they used synthetic?
Old 07-31-2005, 09:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DrCloud,Jul 31 2005, 07:27 PM
Having read all the posts about how these little four-bangers drink oil, I've been checking mine religiously. But it's so damned clear, it's hard to see where it is on the dipstick -- I need both my reading glasses and extra bright lights.

Of course, I'm just a tad over the 600 mile mark now, so I guess I won't worry about clear (or, maybe, "oil-colored") oil. So far, though, it's a pain to see it -- but as far as I can tell, it hasn't consumed a drop.
Please keep in mind that gauging oil "darkness" from the dipstick is not as reliable or as relevant as seeing it come out the drain plug. Plus, at 600 miles, this is even more difficult to see it darken.
Also, it must be noted that Honda did "something" in '04. What it is exactly is only my guess (slight different composition of cylinder liners and perhaps different types of rings or lower redline), but most reports have been that the '04 and newer engines (ie, 2.2L) don't "drink" oil like the 2.0L engines did. Therefore, the necessity to wait longer before changing to synthetic may not be apparent.

Where is the proof? Where are the threads about people's engines blowing up because they used synthetic?
You don't quite get it, do you? Honda put out a memo that was to be passed onto all S2000 owners who came in with oil related complaints. This memo was directed at owners of pre-'04 cars. If you owned such a car, then this would be of some importance to you. As for "proof", TWO things:
1. Honda issued this memo and if it applied to you, you don't need "proof". They are the ones who made this car. They are the ones who issued this memo. They are the ones who can deny a warranty claim based on whatever they want. If you had a problem and then asked for warranty repair, would you rather be in the category of people who followed the recommendation or in the category of people who didn't? Warranty claims can be tough enough as it is. You want to give them one more excuse to deny it? You want to be the owner who demands warranty repair while standing there waving the "give me proof" flag?
2. At NO time has ANYONE indicated that an S2000 engine will "blow up" because they used synthetic or switched to synthetic too early. This is something that your furtive imagine cooked up to give your post more "drama".
Because of the Fibre Reinforced Metal cylinder liners present in the 2.0L engine and the type of rings they have, getting the rings to completely seal with the liners (ie, "break in"), was shown to be more difficult. Using synthetic too early, extended this break-in period due to the lubricating characteristics of synthetic. While the rings are trying to seat themselves and because of the lofty redline in the 2.0L, oil was consumed at a notable and sometimes alarming rate. Once the rings seated and "break-in" was more complete, then the transition to synthetic would not be detrimental in terms of ring seating (and thus, oil consumption). But since you've "read it all" and claim to be a smart boy, you knew all this, right?
So, where in this is there a even a hint at the engine "blowing up"? This has NOTHING to do with blowing up the engine or that synthetic is "bad" for your engine. It has to do with ring seating, break-in and how long it takes to do it. It also has more relevance to the 2.0L engine. Only time has shown that the 2.2L engine is not so prone to this "difficult" ring seating ordeal.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:49 AM

xviper, could you please call me and explain this over the phone?
Old 08-01-2005, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by berzerQer,Aug 1 2005, 06:49 AM
xviper, could you please call me and explain this over the phone?
Absolutely! Please Paypal me 20 bucks. I have my own timer to make sure I don't go over.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by berzerQer,Jul 31 2005, 10:28 PM
I've read it all and I still feel that as long as you change your oil at consistent intervals (be it dino or syn oil), you should have no problems. Everytime someone posts one of these thread the same shit always happens, people claiming synthetic is bad for the engine before a certain amount of miles. Where is the proof? Where are the threads about people's engines blowing up because they used synthetic?
the problem is, it's a long term effect. we will never be able to point at a car and say "see that happened because they used synthetic too soon". BECAUSE of the fact that it's a long term effect.

I have posted this from honda:

However, you seem "skeptical" about that as it is.

However, a large part of the reason not to use synthetic too soon is the FRM cylinder walls. You want to know why people keep saying 10,000rpm? Because there was AN OFFICIAL Honda TSB on a previous generation prelude that came with FRM cylinder walls. The TSB stated to NOT use synthetic before 10,000 miles due to the fact that it can cause improper breakin and shorten engine life.

edit: i see xviper covered the FRM cylinder wall situation
Old 08-01-2005, 12:07 PM

It makes you wonder how they use Mobil 1 syn oil in a new Formula one car. I guess the goal is much different.
I guess I'll go with the owner's manual recomendations.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Pillowsplat,Aug 1 2005, 01:07 PM
It makes you wonder how they use Mobil 1 syn oil in a new Formula one car. I guess the goal is much different.
I guess I'll go with the owner's manual recomendations.
They run those engines for one race, then tear it down. They also run oil capacity in the GALLONS, not quarts. See the difference?
They also run full synthetic in Vettes and Vipers right from the factory, however, do those have carbon fibre reinforced metal cylinder liners? Your apples are getting to chummy with your oranges.