S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

oil consumption is normal????

Old 03-23-2002, 07:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default oil consumption is normal????

I've been reading current owners are experiencing oil consumption. I've also been reading this is normal. I've owned several Hondas in the past & I've never had one that burn a drop of oil.
I've nervous about shelling out $32k for a car that may have a design flaw. I love this car, I want this car. If I'm mistaking about this oil problem & it is in fact normal, please explain it to me.
I really appreciate your feedback. THANKS
Old 03-23-2002, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not that big of a deal...just check the oil once a week.
Old 03-23-2002, 11:58 PM

Mark,

It does not appear to be a design "flaw" though it may be related to the design. The very nature of the fiber reinforced cylinders seems to require an extended break in period. During this time some may burn more oil than others. This may be related to how many times you visit 9000 rpm.
Old 03-24-2002, 03:39 AM

This oil consumption has appeared in several threads throughout the forums. The bottom line appears to be that oil is consumed only during the first several thousand miles and none thereafter IF you have a "normal" S2000. My S2000 burned three quarts of oil by the time of the first oil change (3500 miles) and hasn't burned one drop since (currently at 8400 miles). During that 8400 miles my S2000 has been tracked at Watkins Glen, run in several autoXes, and is used as a daily driver under what Honda (and I) regard as severe service duty. In short, I agree with Colin and others who regard the engine as pretty darn solid and NOT flawed.
Old 03-24-2002, 06:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All of my Hondas so far only "use" oil when you wipe it off the dipstick even with 6 month intervals.

I'd like to know where the oil goes. Does it all slip by the rings, or is there some other loss at the valve guides, etc.
Old 03-24-2002, 01:32 PM

The F20C is designed to eat oil during the break-in period; it shouldn't eat any after that. It's not a flaw.
Old 03-24-2002, 01:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

So, Oil consumption is normal & it seems to taper off as the engine is breaks in. That is what I wanted to hear, That's an anwser I can live with. Just one follow up question: Does Honda explain this to you in the owner's manual? & when you top off the oil do you use the same break-in oil (if break-in oil is even used)?
Thanks,
This board is great!
Old 03-24-2002, 02:12 PM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

I just posted this in another thread - it answers your question:

It's not in the Owner's Manual, but Honda did issue a Service Bulletin which you can look at here:

Service Update

Here are the relevant portions:

"During the first 600 miles (the car's break-in period), the engine may consume even more than a quart of oil; customers should add Honda 10W-30 or other high-quality petroleum-based oil of that viscosity to the factory-fill oil....."

and

"Beacuse the piston rings, piston rod bearings, cam bearings, and crankshaft main bearings continue to "break in" during the first 5,000 to 7,500 miles, factory-fill oil is provided in the engine of the delivered car. The factory fill oil has special additives, so it should be left in the engine until the first oil change: 7,500 miles under "Normal Conditions."

"Do not use any synthetic oil for the first 7,500 miles. Synthetic oil is excellent protection for the car's engine, but it should not be used before 7,500 miles since it will not allow the rings, bearings, etc. to "break in" properly."

JonasM
Old 03-24-2002, 04:06 PM

i have 26k miles and still burn at least 1 qt per 1k miles and dealer insists this is within spec. otherwise all is well
Old 03-24-2002, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by markpenske
So, Oil consumption is normal & it seems to taper off as the engine is breaks in. That is what I wanted to hear, That's an anwser I can live with. Just one follow up question: Does Honda explain this to you in the owner's manual? & when you top off the oil do you use the same break-in oil (if break-in oil is even used)?
Thanks,
This board is great!
The oil that is shipped from the factory is indeed different than normal oil. Your dealer doesn't even have any. It is designed to speed up the break in of your engine. Because of this type of oil, it is normal to burn some while the engine is being broken in. Mine was using a quart/1000 miles during break in, but stopped using oil as soon as I changed the oil and removed the break in oil.

Just remember to check the oil level frequently and top it off with normal 10W30 oil.

Quick Reply: oil consumption is normal????