S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Oil Consumption kililng me

Old 02-21-2005, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04' date='Feb 21 2005, 03:01 PM
It is always better to check it cold, that way everything has returned to the oil pan and you are getting the most accurate reading. This is not always possible but it's the best. Also, and equally important is to be on level ground to get an accurate read.
im just using this reply as an example. not bashing anyone.
wrong info here. ALWAYS check the oil when the motor is at full operating temp. shut it down, and wait for drainback, takes about 5 mins after shutoff. then check it. youll get most accurate reading then. mine reads about 1/2 qt low cold, always. then when warm, right at the full mark. if i fill it full when cold, it is a huge noticeable difference in windage. the car is way slower. anyways, take it easy and dont overfill your motor. lates dave
Old 02-21-2005, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Zeniac' date='Feb 21 2005, 11:23 PM
It's typical?

I've got over 22,000 miles, I am in VTec numerous times every day and redline at least once or twice during the daily drive to work and I have never added oil between changes. In fact the drop in oil is so negligible to be difficult to tell if the oil on the dip stick has gone down at all.

I would not call it typical to use tremendous amounts of oil.
why don't you do a poll and see if anyone is as lucky as you are. I would say it's safe to say that this car is notorious for consuming oil whether you drive hard or not. If you don't have to add oil in between changes then you are lucky, but I would not assume that this car does not require adding an extra quarts or two, especially if you vtec frequent.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well yesterday i parked my car in a specific area to see if there was a puddle and sure enough there was a very small puddle of oil. Im going to check later the oil filter or it might be the oil pan screw. Im trying to remember if i put the washer on the screw when it was removed. At least its not my car burning all the oil up, but hopefully its nothing major with wear the oil is leaking.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:01 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeniac' date='Feb 22 2005, 12:23 AM
It's typical?
I think the answer must be qualified with an addendum:
YES, it's typical on pre-04 cars. Honda must have changed something because not many '04 owners report significant oil useage.
__________________________________________________ ________________

As for the oil checking procedure, this always comes up and both the "hot check" and "cold check" camps get their panties up in a knot. There's no need. BOTH can be done with accuracy and confidence. I've posted on this in the past. I'll just paste the link up here if anyone wants a read:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...dpost&p=3285584
It's NOT rocket science unless the one doing the oil checking wants to make it so.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:15 AM

This needs to be added in this thread.

Old 02-23-2005, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by TwistedS2k' date='Feb 22 2005, 02:13 AM
why don't you do a poll and see if anyone is as lucky as you are. I would say it's safe to say that this car is notorious for consuming oil whether you drive hard or not. If you don't have to add oil in between changes then you are lucky, but I would not assume that this car does not require adding an extra quarts or two, especially if you vtec frequent.
The most important thing is to keep track of oil usage and monitor that it is not getting progressively worse. It sounded to me like rikhemi was talking about a change in his consumption. He stated that it had gotten worse over the past two months. This is not typical for a MY00 car.

It is also not typical to use trememdous amounts of oil on any vehicle, even my old Triumph TR6, of which were notorious for oil usage and leaks never used more than a quart of oil every 1000 miles or so. In fact, it was not seen as uncommon for most cars on the road in the 60's to the mid 70's to use a quart in 1000-1500 miles. The important thing was consistancy of usage.

A quart or two between changes is much different than "tremendous" oil usage. In general, if consumption levels have changed and you suddenly begin to use much more than usual in your car it usually points to problems or upcoming problems, whether it is consumption or leaks and should be checked out.

Mi dos centavos
Old 02-23-2005, 09:32 AM

My S consumed 2/5 quart(2 X's down) before the first oil change at 3700 miles. Since then, it does not use any oil at all. The second oil change was done at 7500 miles and the oil was at full mark.
Wife's 2000 E430 with 59k miles, never consume any oil between oil changes interval of 12k miles or 1 year, whichever first.
The beat up 1994 LS400 with more than 150k miles, consumes about 1/2 quart per 3k miles or 2 quarts between oil changes interval of 12k miles or 1 year, whichever later.
Oil level was checked in the morning along with tires pressure before driving one every few months.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:46 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think we can equate our oil consumption with most other cars out there. There aren't a whole lot of engines that utilize FRM cylinder liners like the S2000 does. This, in conjunction with ring tolerances and gapping, makes for a unique set of circumstances, one of which is a higher than usual oil useage.
It may be that for '04s and newer, Honda changed those ring characteristics just enough to control the oil consumption a bit better right from the start than on the older models. I believe the FRM liners are still there although I don't know if they have been modified.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:55 AM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

[quote name='xviper' date='Feb 22 2005, 11:01 AM'] I think the answer must be qualified with an addendum:
YES, it's typical on pre-04 cars.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed less oil consumption when I used regular dinosaur jiuce. I think synthetic burns off easier.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption kililng me