S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

OH FOR PETE'S SAKE DON'T DO TSB#055! [writing in a fetal position, crying like a kid]

Old 03-15-2001, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey gang,

I'm back. I've been gone for so long, that the entire list moved on me!!!

OK. Here's the low-down on my TSB woes. I've had the 1-2 grind since I got the car, it appears as if it were getting worse (especially after driving my S2K like I stole it out a gingerman last year).

So I recently had to a tiny mishap and had to take my car to the dealership for some "unforeseen" and unrelated work (don't ask. That's a whole story in and of itself). I decided that since my car was going to be up there, I'd ask them to change the oil and do this little TSB for me. My reasoning was that the car was going to sit in storage anyway during Mich winter. And I also didn't want to freeze my fingers off doing work on it.

So to make a long story short. I go (the first time) to pick up my car after many assurances that there were no problems and that my baby was tested thoroughly. I get in the car, tried to put it in first gear... And the F***kn' think won't budge. So I got pissed and jammed 1st gear in and started moving the car slowly. The tranny sounded like it had no fluid in it!!! and 3rd and 5th were out of commission.

MY TRANNY WAS DESTROYED!!! Brighton Honda destroyed my tranny. On top of it all, they had the car stored outside in the freezing Mich winter in a muddy unpaved lot. My interior was trashed (muddy footprints), my rear window was frozen, and did I mention: MY TRANSMISSION WAS TRASHED!!!

So of course I go ballistic and get into it with the service advisor. They accused me of bringing the car to them in that condition. Could you believe it???

Oh one more snafoo: They executed the 2 safety recalls without asking me!!! One of those puppies requires gutting out the entire top cover base area. Now there are squeeks coming out of everywhere.

So after nearly committing a capitol crime, they agreed that the only course of action is to replace my entire transmission. The whole thing! OK so it is free, and it's the only thing that'll work, but c'mon: you know my baby will never be the same!!!

Fast forward another week and a half.

I get the car back and the second I turn on the ignition, the check engine comes on. I've been back twice so far and they haven't been able to get the damn light to go away.

The new tranny is OK. I haven't experienced the 1-2 grind, but its driveline thrash is just as loud (ya know cruise at 2500-3500 in 2nd or 3rd). There are definitely more rattles soming out of the top cover housing.

Guys: I just can't believe it!!! I'm sooooooo depressed over this. I have written a letter to Dick Coliver at Amer Honda. I'm thinking about sending him the same letter every day until he responds.

I'm thinking about dumping the car. Just to trade it in for a new one (preferably yellow). What do you think?

In another post, I'll tell the little mishap that started this whole episode...

BTW... The diagnostic code from the check engine light points to the intake system. I think that's a load of BS. My guess is that the dealer screwed up the other end: They must have done something wierd taking off the exhaust to replace the tranny. Any hints?

Thanks guys... I's great to be back. -KM.
Old 03-15-2001, 02:25 PM

i had SEVERE PROBLEMS with FAIRFAX HONDA in northern virginia when they did my tsb-055. luckily, WONDERFUL LARRY HOPKINS in sunnyvale ca fixed all their mistakes free of charge. the mechanic in CA said the fairfax guy woulda been better off as a butcher the way my tranny was put back together.
Old 03-15-2001, 04:06 PM

Check and make sure they didn't unplug the connector to the air pump when they did the TSB and didn't reconnect it. This was the problem with my check engine light. Also, look into the lemon laws for the state of Michigan. Tell them to fix it to your satisfaction or you want a new car.
Old 03-15-2001, 04:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kahled, long time no see, man! I just wish it was under better circumstances! What a pile!! Man, I would be absolutely LIVID if that happened to me...and I don't get pissed easily. Did you happen to make note of the miles when you dropped the car off? I would be in AHM's face right now...

It sounds like the perfect Rant for the Rants and Raves section at s2ki. Can we use it?

Let us know how it shakes out!

Would love to see you at Gingerman again...Speedtrial has it March 31-April 1 for an event. Can you make it? You may have to bring the NSX!

Man, I'm bummed for you...
Old 03-15-2001, 05:47 PM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

Damn, that sucks! Remind me never to use Brighten Honda.

I'd suggest Sunshine Honda in Plymouth. I can't speak from any personal experience other than I bought my car there and I was VERY impressed with the Tech Adviser there (he autocrosses, etc.) and my salesman (he drives an S2000) and the shop looked like they still had the act together (I bought an Accord from them about 20 yrs ago).

At the time I bought my s2k, I was concerned about the #4 cylinder issue (and still am frankly) but the Tech Adviser went way beyond to try to sort out my concerns (looked up and contacted directly the dealerships that had/were servicing engine problems). If it were me, I would NOT let Brighten touch my car again. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2001, 06:22 PM

Kahled-

If you don't mind the drive, can I suggest you take your car to Schaumburg Honda, to Chris Primbus, the Honda Tech who worked on my car's transmission and is a friend of mine. My car came out perfectly fine.

I'm sure they can fix whatever your Honda dealership screwed up- complain to the DM and tell them you don't trust anyone there.
Old 03-15-2001, 07:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel for ya man, I have things needed to be fixed and the only thing Im happy about (besides the cost) Is Im dropping it off at a Ferrari body shop tomorrow to fix my F&*@# dents. I just walk in that shop and almost jizz. Ferrari here Ferrari there, Rolls Royce here . . . you get the point.

But I need those TSB's done too, When my car hits 36k MY WRENCHES are hittin it hard and its gonna be right! For now its warranty work, hmmm now to find a dealer that will do it, OH thats right I did, 850 miles away!!!

Latley I havnt wanted to drive it because of the Grind/Clutch noise(I dont beleive what they say about tranny backlash, I think its just the springs) and the "Other car Magnet" syndrome it has right now . . .

OH well I hope its all fixed by summertime . . .
Old 03-15-2001, 09:20 PM

Definitely look into your lemon laws!

As for the check engine light... there is a small one way valve at one of the vacuum lines that attaches to the airbox (it doesn't go INTO the airbox, but it mounts on it). It goes to the air control solenoid valve. Anyway, I'm not near my car right now, so I can't tell you which way it is supposed to go, but I'm guessing it goes the opposite way that yours is in. They DO actually have to remove the airbox to work on the trans/clutch, so that is entirely possible that's what's wrong. Because you have to lower the subframe of the car 3" so that the motor comes down three inches and you can get to the top trans mount bolts, you end up having to take EVERYTHING off of the engine and even disconnect the steering rack just to get the trans off.

Anyway, you got pretty badly screwed and my prayers go out to you, but this isn't a tech post, so I'm gunna have to move it to Car Talk. Good luck getting it worked out - I say just go with the Lemon Law on this one.
Old 03-15-2001, 09:52 PM

gee, that sux. You should go to Hower Cooper. I didn't buy the car there. But, during one of the fix, I couldn't pick up the car in the same day. They not only left the car in the middle of the shop, and they wash the car for me. On top of that, they only charge me $45 for Mobil 1 synthetics.

Now, if you need any help on who to contact in AHM, I can give you a list that I sent the letter. It doesn't really help, all thost exec do is forward the letter to National Consumer Affair. Just reasonly, Troy Honda really screwed up my car and not admitting it (kind of like yours). I file a dispute with AHM, they are looking into the matter, now.
Old 03-16-2001, 07:39 AM

Guys,

Thank you so much for the support...

Greg: The story is a lot longer than this summary. I worte a letter to Dick Coliver that I'll share with you, feel free to publish it minus the personal stuff...

Right now, I'm waiting for the car to come back. I want to come down to S2K Days, but I'm worried (given the track record so far) that I may not be able to do it in time...

Do you guys think bringing the NSX to Ashville would be too pretentious? If not, I've talked about it with Andy (NSXHomeDepotMods) and he wants to bring his black NSX if I brought mine.

I'll keep you posted. -KM.

Quick Reply: OH FOR PETE'S SAKE DON'T DO TSB#055! [writing in a fetal position, crying like a kid]