S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Oh boy! another overrev subject!

Old 09-10-2005, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oh boy! another overrev subject!

Ugh, it pains me to even type this...

Last night while driving home from my girlfriend's dorm room, I hit the toll on GA400 going north and throw in my 50 cents. I was trying to put my wallet away and drive off at the same time. I zipped up the change pouch (I have a canvas wallet with a zipper on the inside like a 10 year old, don't laugh) and tried to secure my wallet in my lap as I was driving off.

Now, I started off driving normally. In first I probably shifted around 4000-5000 rpm into 2nd. In 2nd, I probably shifted at 6000 rpm. I wasn't at WOT, just shifting high due to me just securing my wallet and not fully paying attention to what I was doing. After I shifted into 3rd gear, I then gunned it because the lanes started to merge back together and there was a car next to me. As I gunned it trying to get in front of them, I ran it up to redline and shifted....

into 2nd gear again.

So I went from 8500-9000 RPMs in 3rd and shifted back into 2nd, like a complete idiot not paying attention to what I was doing. Here's where I need some help:

I am not sure of my speed when I shifted, and nor am I sure on the exact RPM when I shifted. I was definately at 8500 minimum though. I immediately let in the clutch and put it into neutral, so it was only in 2nd gear for a 1/4 second maybe. The car seemed to drive fine the rest of the way home. I quickly went to the store today which is literally 1/4 mile from my condo so I didn't tach it up very far. The car again, seems to drive fine but something just felt fishy. Maybe I'm just paranoid but the car seemed to sound weird revved up above 3000 rpm. I did not notice anything coming out of the exhaust and the car isn't idling any different than normal.

Based on the shift information I gave earlier, does anyone with experience have any input to give me? I'm thinking I should go drive the car around the block a bit and maybe get into VTEC at least once to see if the car seems normal.

One last thing, I didn't notice the dash light up or turn red like people say they see, it just sounded really loud all tached up when it went into 2nd for a 1/4 second or so.

Thanks!

Love, Justin
Old 09-10-2005, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you think there is a possibility of damage, VTEC'ing it is the last thing you should do. Limp it, or better yet tow it to a shop and get it checked out.

You have an estimate of how high you ran it up? Did you let the clutch all the way out or catch it before it fully engaged?
Old 09-10-2005, 01:32 PM

Yes, I let the clutch out fully and it engaged for a fraction of a second. I shifted quick and then slammed the clutch back in and threw it into neutral as soon as I heard the motor rev higher and realized what I did.

I assume I'd need a compression test? Anyone have a quote on price for one?

It's really crappy because due to this being September, the WORST month of the year for waiters/servers at restaurants. Not only is business slow and everyone is broke, but our tip percentage is god awful as well due to the gas "crisis" and people not wanting to spend money. Funny how people can afford to go out to eat but cannot seem to cough up a respectable tip for their server... but now I'm just ranting and off topic.

Again, I shifted around 4000 in 1st, 6000 in 2nd and then around redline in 3rd and downshifted back to 2nd. I was not WOT until I got to 3rd gear. I'm not sure what my speed/rpm would be here, but I definitely did not gun it very high in 1st or 2nd. I probably was around 60-70 mph is my best guess.

What are some tell-tale signs or symptoms I'd be seeing if there is damage? I think I'm going to try babying it up to 3000 and 4000 rpm shifts and see how it feels later tonight.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:52 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

sorry to hear it. good luck

btw, on some ferraris they have the shift pattern cut into a metal palte that sits at the base of the shifter, i wonder if anyone could fabricate one for the s2000. it would make it nearly impossible to put it in the wrong gear since you would have a guide to feel it into gear
Old 09-10-2005, 02:30 PM

You need a leakdown test at best or a comp. test! I would do this first thing because if you did damage the valve train at least you will know and replace just parts or worst case scenario - A head!
If you do nothing and did damage something in your valve train, you will have a failure and most likely you will be replacing your entire engine!

You need to do this just for your piece of mind! It will drive you nuts and make you paranoid until you have the test done!

Good Luck!
Old 09-10-2005, 02:34 PM

Anyone know a good shop in Atlanta or work in one that can give me a good deal?
Old 09-10-2005, 03:01 PM

Based on what I've read about over-revved S2k engines (and I'm far from an expert having only 2 weeks on the car) but you should pull the valve cover and take a dentist mirror to your valves and see if the retainers have creeped . Also look for scorching marks on your camshaft. I believe it is the intake side that you should be worried about.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the info, do you have any pictures of what that will look like? I've never done any work on a car that is that extensive yet, so I wouldn't know exactly what I was looking for.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:35 PM

I have no advice, other than be careful until you have someone examine the car.

Hope for the best.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:37 PM

Well, I drove the car about 20 miles, shifting before 4k. The car doesn't seem to have ANYTHING wrong with it. I think I got lucky, but we'll see. There are no strange sounds, nothing coming out of exhaust, idles perfectly and the car just seems to be driving like normal. If I don't see any symptoms, do you guys think I got lukcy?

I probably could not have gone past 10K? I know that rev limiters are set in place like temperature warnings on aerosol cans. There is a buffer zone to protect itself. I am hoping that I was somewhere in this "buffer zone" and that the car is alright. In any case, I will be paying extra attention to my shifting from now on.

Quick Reply: Oh boy! another overrev subject!