S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

odd noise in reverse?

Old 02-19-2009, 08:48 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Just to be sure, you didn't back over a cat?
Old 02-19-2009, 11:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol, no cat.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:09 AM

This kind of went away for awhile, but now its back.

The best way I can describe it is it kind of sounds like pushing a chair across a wood floor. That kind of groan... does that make sense? I'll try and get a sound clip if it continues doing it.

When I was backing out this morning it actually even did it with the clutch pushed in... I'm lost.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most reverse gears in standard transmission cars are cut differently than forward drive gears. Reverse gears are spur gears and have a larger gap between the teeth as apposed to forward gears (Helical cut) which have much less of a gap and more surface contact between one another. The greater gap and smaller amount of contact between the gears is where that noise is mostly likely coming from.

TL;DR
More than likely, its just how your reverse gear will sound forever.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:47 PM

I'm not talking about the "whining" noise from straight cut gears. This is definitely not normal...

I've noticed it doesn't do it all the time too. Its usually only in the mornings when reversing up my driveway which is an incline...
Old 04-01-2011, 02:58 PM

Well I am at a loss. Tried changing the fluid?

I'd definitely like to see the video if you get it up.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Darca
Well I am at a loss. Tried changing the fluid?

I'd definitely like to see the video if you get it up.
Yep, trans, diff, and motor oil are all fresh within the last 1000 miles. I didn't use crap fluids either.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by TerminatioN
Ok, so sometimes when I put my car in reverse and start backing up I get a very weird noise that doesn't sound good and has me worried.

I don't think it happens when coasting backwards in neutral, and definitely does NOT happen when going forwards in any gear. If I push the clutch in or put the brakes on it stops. But usually comes back as soon as I continue to reverse. Like I said though, it doesn't happen all the time, just sometimes. It could be my imagination but it seems like the noise only happens when the car is cold, I can't recall it making the noise after the car was warmed up and using reverse, but like I said, I could be wrong, or it could be a coincidence.

The only way I can describe the noise (I know this is a weird analogy, but its all I can think of lol) is it sounds kind of like when you pull a desk across a classroom. Kind of a groaning noise? Sorry, I'm not very good at describing noises, and thats all I could think of to compare it to.

Any ideas?

Any and all help will be appreciated. If you need more info on something just let me know.
I have the exact same problem. Don't know what it is... Has nothing to do with reverse gear... Does it when car is in neutral. I just put new wheel bearings in. I think it has to be related to that. Changed diff fluid first thing I heard it. Only does it in reverse and when the car is cold. My other thought is a sticking brake pad... No idea.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:21 AM

I think it was a sticking break pad. I did my rear brakes on Sunday and haven't had the noise the past couple of days (I reverse out everyday, so I usually hear it everyday). I'll keep you updated.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by TerminatioN
I think it was a sticking break pad. I did my rear brakes on Sunday and haven't had the noise the past couple of days (I reverse out everyday, so I usually hear it everyday). I'll keep you updated.
I just don't know how a freakin brake pad can make that much noise! Wow. I just backed up in the car again... and it's really loud.

I'll mess with the brakes tomorrow when I get read for the El Toro Pro.

Quick Reply: odd noise in reverse?