S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Odd issue with missing VIN tags

Old 01-25-2012, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by meccjoo
Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer' timestamp='1327470406' post='21349895
Most likely it was on a replaced part. My drivers' side was hit and that post needed to be replaced. There is no way to replace the original sticker and it is destroyed if you try to remove it. I now have my original sticker on a free piece that I'll keep locked up. A missing tag is a sure sign of an accident, carfax or not.
the vin stickers are missing on both sides so i find it hard to believe it was hit on both the passenger and driver side unless the stickers are missing from the doors as well.

op: are the vin stickers still present on the doors?
Yes, VIN is intact on the doors itself, fender, bumpers, engine bay etc. They all match the car.

To the guy who had his post replaced, was your door fixed or replaced too? I would think it would be hard for the pillar to take damage, but not the door.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Reckon
Seems like someone cleaned it up. Not sure why, but it might still be a good idea to take it to a body shop to see if the car has any telltale signs of an accident. Possible that the car was hit on both sides causing two replacements.
The car has 43K on it and its extremely clean for its age inside and out. I did have a friend who works in a body shop (paints and does body work) look at it. He crawled underneath and didnt see any marks on the seam, crumpled metal etc and looked at the finish and said it looked original and still looked like it had been painted by a robot.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:43 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would trust your friend's opinion---a trained body man can tell if repairs were ever made (no matter how well they were done)
Sounds like the previous owner just wanted to clean up the look (dumb idea to do this though)
Old 01-25-2012, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does look pretty good, actually. Not that anyone would ever notice it.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by jetboater
I would trust your friend's opinion---a trained body man can tell if repairs were ever made (no matter how well they were done)
Sounds like the previous owner just wanted to clean up the look (dumb idea to do this though)
Yeah, One other thing he said is that sebring silver is a very hard color to match. He said its almost impossible unless the paint is just right with the flakes and all. He actually said I should reconsider painting the silverstone HT I bought sebring. He said it would be hard to get it to match the car and said to go berlina black like the CR instead or sell it and get a mugen replica.

I will have another bodyshop check it out again. It just bothers me they are not there. I don't know how I missed it when I bought the car....
Old 01-25-2012, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont worry about it, it looks 10x better without a bunch of text there anyways. I removed mine.

You already own the car, having different body shops look it over isnt going to change it. Go drive it
Old 01-25-2012, 02:09 PM

This is a fairly neurotic solution, but if you happen to have access to a paint thickness gauge, you could check the paint thickness on the jams. If it's well under 200 microns, it's most likely OEM. Bodyshops generally can't lay paint as thin as the factory robots.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/580...int-thickness/
Old 01-25-2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by pearl_s2k
This is a fairly neurotic solution, but if you happen to have access to a paint thickness gauge, you could check the paint thickness on the jams. If it's well under 200 microns, it's most likely OEM. Bodyshops generally can't lay paint as thin as the factory robots.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/580...int-thickness/
Thanks, maybe a bodyshop will have access to one or a detail shop.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Whoabitchin
Dont worry about it, it looks 10x better without a bunch of text there anyways. I removed mine.

You already own the car, having different body shops look it over isnt going to change it. Go drive it
LOL, True. I am in Iowa, not with all this snow on the road
Old 01-25-2012, 06:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

mines were missing too and it turned out that both of the rear quarter panels were replaced...

Quick Reply: Odd issue with missing VIN tags