S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Odd issue with missing VIN tags

Old 01-24-2012, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd issue with missing VIN tags

I have a 2003 S2000 and when I went to verify my color code on the door sill by the door latch, I found the sticker missing. Then I realized it's missing the larger sticker Honda puts there with the VIN and such. It does not have a VIN tag on the door sill either - on both sides. I checked all other VIN stickers and they match the dash VIN and VIN under engine bay.

I checked carfax and no accidents in history. I had a friend who works in a body shop come and look at the door sills and he inspected it and said it did not look replaced and the paint looked like it was done by robots.

Only thing I can think is the previous owners removed them for some reason? Pics are below - Per FSM, there should be tags here, correct?

I want to see if anyone else has had this happen on their cars?

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2012, 05:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

previous owner must have removed them... Hopefully this wont effect you in the future (selling the car etc.)
Old 01-24-2012, 05:32 PM

That's the only thing I can think of too - No idea why someone would even want to do that. It just bothers me for some reason...
Old 01-24-2012, 05:48 PM
G

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kchandra
No idea why someone would even want to do that.
Probably to clean up the look.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:56 PM

Can I get a replacement from Honda? I am guessing not, but hoping someone surprises me with good news....
Old 01-24-2012, 08:46 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Most likely it was on a replaced part. My drivers' side was hit and that post needed to be replaced. There is no way to replace the original sticker and it is destroyed if you try to remove it. I now have my original sticker on a free piece that I'll keep locked up. A missing tag is a sure sign of an accident, carfax or not.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer
Most likely it was on a replaced part. My drivers' side was hit and that post needed to be replaced. There is no way to replace the original sticker and it is destroyed if you try to remove it. I now have my original sticker on a free piece that I'll keep locked up. A missing tag is a sure sign of an accident, carfax or not.
the vin stickers are missing on both sides so i find it hard to believe it was hit on both the passenger and driver side unless the stickers are missing from the doors as well.

op: are the vin stickers still present on the doors?
Old 01-25-2012, 05:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like someone cleaned it up. Not sure why, but it might still be a good idea to take it to a body shop to see if the car has any telltale signs of an accident. Possible that the car was hit on both sides causing two replacements.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:04 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Strange thats it's both sides....
Old 01-25-2012, 07:24 AM
Banned

I wouldn't sweat it. Most likely done by the PO just to clean the look up. Not the smartest thing I've seen done to a car, but definitely not the dumbest.

Quick Reply: Odd issue with missing VIN tags