S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Octane Levels

Old 04-13-2005, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Octane Levels

To start off, I would like to say I would NEVER consider putting less than 92 octane in my S2.

But last week, a friend told me that with gas prices rising, less people are using 92 octane (which I took with a grain of salt, because you need to use what your car requires). Anyway, he said that with less use in the pump, the gas sits, and actually loses octane. Thus the 92 pump with little "activity" is about the same as the 89 pump. He told me to just use 89 octane and save my money...
I said "Yeah, good idea...." and walked away.

I would never do this, but I was wondering if there was ANY validity to it. TIA.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to my knowledge. I think it would have to sit for a VERY LONG time before the gas would go bad. Gas stations usually don't fill their premium tanks since they generally only account for maybe 18% of sales. So the gas in there is constantly being replenished along with the regular gas.

But even then, if gas were to sit a long ass time, I would think there is regulations regarding this.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of raising gas prices. I saw 91 Octane for $3.03 today in South San Jose (California).
Old 04-13-2005, 02:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, I am around $2.65 a little less south of Seattle. I think downtown is about $2.85 or so.
And I'm experiencing heartache!! But I'd rather live in Cali still!
Old 04-13-2005, 02:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

yep...I'm sure 87 is going to be over $3 this summer...ohh well...I refrain from driving because of that
Old 04-13-2005, 02:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm waiting for the semis to start doing rolling road blocks again in protest of prices, like they did in the 80's.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Apr 13 2005, 02:26 PM
I'm waiting for the semis to start doing rolling road blocks again in protest of prices, like they did in the 80's.
wow...I never knew they did that...but I'm a young'n born in 86
Old 04-13-2005, 02:42 PM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, the short answer is, "yes."

Your friend is somewhat correct, but I think most people may curtail excess driving, but I doubt that a large percentage of people that are paying the current high price for 91 octane, will suddenly change to 89 octane to save a little money.

I think both types of fuel may sit in the station tank a little longer, so the octane should be lower on both types (in theory).

I also agree, that it probably takes a while (at least 3-4 months) to start losing its octane rating. I certainly don't think it's anything to be concerned about.

-Pete
Old 04-13-2005, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Apr 13 2005, 03:26 PM
What did they do, exactly?
Old 04-13-2005, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by WyattH,Apr 13 2005, 02:14 PM
To start off, I would like to say I would NEVER consider putting less than 92 octane in my S2.

But last week, a friend told me that with gas prices rising, less people are using 92 octane (which I took with a grain of salt, because you need to use what your car requires). Anyway, he said that with less use in the pump, the gas sits, and actually loses octane. Thus the 92 pump with little "activity" is about the same as the 89 pump. He told me to just use 89 octane and save my money...
I said "Yeah, good idea...." and walked away.

I would never do this, but I was wondering if there was ANY validity to it. TIA.
Isn't the midgrade just a 1:1 mixture of regular and premium blended right in the pump? It was my understanding that most of the stations around here have just two tanks underground, unless they also do diesel.

If that's the case using the midgrade won't help the problem--you're still drinking from the same tanks. And even if you used "fresh" midgrade you would be missing out on maximum performance.

I know fuel goes stale over time but I would have to read up to find the chemical definition of "stale." Anybody who has tried to start a lawnmower without fresh gas after a year of sitting knows this.

To answer the question, "is it likely to be true?" here are some reasons why I doubt it:

-I doubt that it would happen in the relatively short time fuel sits in a tank at the station.

-Any businessperson knows you don't buy and hold much more inventory than you will sell before resupply. I would guess station owners are not filling a tank of premium and selling it over the course of a year!!! It is much more likely they get deliveries a couple times a week or every day (unless the station is in a very rural area).

-There are laws against labeling a product as one thing and selling it, when the product doesn't represent its label. It is illegal. If fuel stability is so bad that it needs a born-on date, I think we would see a born-on date.

The easy answer, until we know more, is to ask the station manager how often his Premium underground is filled, or to go to a station that you observe is very busy.

And it's probably a good time for the reminder that Premium doesn't contain any more energy or power than Regular gasoline, it just has a higher anti-knock index. Premium just allows your S2000 to operate under more agressive timing parameters that generate more power under high compression, without causing damaging detonation.

Quick Reply: Octane Levels