S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Occasional 2nd gear grind, it's not going to

Old 11-04-2005, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've experienced both the notchiness and the grinding. My 3rd gear is the notchy one, but like most people experience after 5mins of driving and warm up it is gone. I to switched to GM Syncromesh and it has helped.

I have also grinded 2nd gear both before my Gm Syncromesh and after. All time it has happend it has been after the car was warmed up. I also read a thread a while back about this issue and a guy wrote up a pretty knowledgable post about not ragging out from a stop light if you had just gotten of the highway. His reasoning was that the tranny gets very hot when cruising at high speed. If it doesn't cool down a little bit before taking off at the next stop light it will increase the chance for the grind.

Whether or not this is true, I'm not sure, but I can say that I have ground 2nd around 5-6 times. I would say 4 outta 6 of them, was me taking off and reving to 9k just after getting off the highway.

The other issue I think is how you shift. Our gearbox is very precise and very smooth when used correctly. I have driven stick for 9 years and never had an issue like this on my Integra or my Jetta, even when shifting very hard. The gearbox in the S doesn't like to be forced. The trick to it is all about Finesse. Key is not to grab the shifter with your fist and slam it back. A good driver can shift just as fast with a light grip/throw guiding it to the next gear. Just the flick of the wrist griping lightly with a few fingers is all it needs.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:21 AM

I have that notchy feeling as well going into 3rd in My00. it does go away after warming up. In my former Rx8, i had that notchy going from 1st to 2nd. From what i hear, the Rx8 tranny and the S2k's tranny are made by the same company

i just recently bought this car. at what mileage are we suppose to change the tranny fluid? i plan to change mine soon as well as the differential
Old 11-04-2005, 08:25 AM

I had this problem in my 04 s2k when i bought it used from a private seller. I would grind it maybe once or twice a week but i know for certain it wasnt because of my driving. I wasnt sure at first why i was experiencing the grinds but i didnt like it. I switched out the tranny fluid and used GMSMFM and i have yet to grind the gears once since driving for about 9-10k miles now. Changing the fluid worked for me and i like it now. It's up to you what you want to do... some people are hesitant on using the GMSMFM, but it is working fine for me.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:54 AM
WPS

i too get the grind/notchiness. this car has the best shifter and the worst i've ever driven. happens when it's cold. yes i replace the tranny oil several time. sure it helps but it's temporary and doesnt last at all to remedy it.

i feel it helps to when going into 2nd i would pull back straight rather then left and back when tranny is warm for smooth 2nd gear shifts.

as for when the tranny is cold, i have to double clutch into 2nd( push in clutch put in neutral, let out clutch, push in clutch, into 2nd)
it's pretty annoying.

i wanted to add about the person hearing the thunk going into 1st. i've had that happen in other manual cars. basically when you are idling clutch out and stick in neutral its spinning the halfshaft(i think) and when you put into 1st too fast it will slow that halfshaft fast and you will hear it.
if you push in the clutch and wait for a second and then put into first then you will notice no thunking anymore.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:00 AM

Dumb of me to mix up the differential and the transmission. I really do know the difference...really really...

When I had my car in the service dept this morning they pulled out the issue posted by Honda about this problem and along with the notchiness in second the other symptom is popping out of gear (2nd). Though that has only happened to me once it was enough for the service manager to go ahead with replacing 1st and 2nd gears. I'm not sure what years this "issue" applies to, but I've seen posts with people mentioning it on practically every model.

I have noticed that when I ease the car into second pretty carefully I avoid that harsh feel, but who wants to have to do that in a car like this that loves to be tossed around? Anyway, the tech who test drove the car this morning noted the problem right off the bat, so I don't think I'm being overly-sensitive about my little toy.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:40 PM

well out of all the times I drive, it didn't do it today. of course not. oh well.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:48 PM

My 2005 always grinds 2nd for the first 10-15 minutes from a cold start.

The grind is not audible, but felt through the shifter.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the original poster is talking about 'notchiness' that everyone is referring to. He is talking about hard ass grinds in which the car never makes it into 2nd gear because the shifter scratches and gets denied. You have to neutral the shifter and then reshift carefully into 2nd a few seconds later.

I get this too, it is just something with our car. I used to have this happen on occasion in my 00civic si, but never this much. I usually grind once going into 2nd gear I'd say every 3 days or so. When I changed my tranny fluid (mobil 1 for colder months) I found little brass pieces in the fluid... kinda like if you went panning for gold and you find little flakes and nuggets in the dirt. Bye bye synchros!

My only advice is to make sure you're not holding the shifter like you'd pick up a beer bottle. Make sure your hand is cupped, with palm facing down and shift with 2 or 3 fingers from the cup. That has helped me but I occaisionally will grind still.

The way I look at it, if my clutch wears It'll just force me to get a better one
Old 12-22-2006, 09:00 AM

i got a 05 and the tranny was feeling notchy ever since i bought it new..now is got 12k miles on it..and i recently changed the tranny fluid to Gm S FM..at first it felt alot better than before...but after a few weeks it still basically doing the same thing..still a little improved then before..and i do have the same problem 1st to 2nd gear grind too..i guess all s2k has the same problem...oh well unless we can bring it back to the dealer and see if they can resolve this whole tranny issue..
Old 12-22-2006, 10:13 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

From what I've been reading second gear grind/notchiness tends to happen when it's cold and in lower revs. Interestingly, the 350z had a problem with grinding gears in the 03 models (and I believe early 04 models too). They lengthened a rod associated with the clutch (forgot what it was) and it cured the problem with the trannies.
Honestly though I dunno of any cures like why can't I get into first from neutral unless I go into third then to first (or until I;ve been driving for at least 15 minutes).

Quick Reply: Occasional 2nd gear grind, it's not going to