S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Occasional 2nd gear grind, it's not going to

Old 11-03-2005, 12:45 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow Corey, I never heard of this happening with an '05 transmission. The '04 I owned was completely 2nd-gear-grind free. This weekend my '00 got a complete second transmission because it ground EVERY shift once warmed up. Except for the griding however everything was fine. If you can reproduce it at will well enough, take a service advisor for a ride. Honda has already released a TSB for 2nd gear grind on earlier cars, so it should be covered under warranty. (Just be sure you don't have any evidence of track events in the car - the issue has nothing to do with such, but it would likely be used as an excuse to turn down warranty coverage.)
Old 11-03-2005, 01:42 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine has this problem. It grinds when I shift from first at redline. There seems to be no correlation between grinding and the car being warmed up. If I make a slower more deliberate shift I can generally avoid the problem. Ewww, I sure hate that sound
Old 11-03-2005, 02:03 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Mark,

It's very sporadic, so not sure I can duplicate it with a service tech. It may be due to me shifting too fast for the synchros occasionally. I probably just need to try to be more deliberate to fully depress the clutch and just not grab for second as hard.

Scottrunsxc,
I agree, the sound is horrible. It jars me for a while and makes me stress out a little about what sort of abuse I'm subjecting on the tranny.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Nov 3 2005, 12:23 PM
Also, please note that I don't end up making the 2nd gear. When it grinds I immediately push back up the stick, reengage the clutch, and then go into 2nd. It's not like it grinds and then goes into gear. It's a very loud, obnoxious grind and I immediately 'cancel' the shift and go to neutral, then reclutch and then get into 2nd.

It happens sporadically, again, even when the tranny/car is completely warmed up. Most of the time, it's fine, that is why it's annoying. It just seems to happen whenever it wants to....
I've had this at certain times as well, and it sure does make me feel like a tool!! I've had many manual tranny cars and have beat on all of them hard, and on the last few really tried learning how to shift correctly but occasionally this still happens from 1st to 2nd in my S. I've never had it like this in any other car. I also really hope I'm not doing any damage but am not sure -- I've been meaning to change the fluid for awhile now just to check. It sure does sound horrible though.

As for a reason, this is what I've heard, and while it makes some sense, at the same time it makes almost none to me?! Here goes:

When running up to 9000k the output shaft from the engine along with 1st gear is spinning really fast. Jamming quickly into 2nd, which isn't spinning as fast and weighs a bit more, causes the gears to grind when they try to go together. Why this doesn't happen every single time I do a 9000k shift from 1st to 2nd I don't know, and on the odd occasion I've done a 9000k shift from 2nd to third I've never had this problem. Even newer fluid and a very warmed up car this can still happen.

I've experienced the 'notchy' feel between gears more than a few times, and this is completely different.

As long as the car keeps performing the way it does 99% of time otherwise though, I'm still lovin' it!
Old 11-03-2005, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by cyber_x,Nov 3 2005, 12:32 PM
GM Synchromesh FM is for the transmission, not the differential.
i did this and it has cleared up most of the notchy feeling.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:01 PM

Had it early on w/ my 02, went away predominantly when I switched to Redline MT90...I notice in the City when I'm in traffice and take it up in 1st but have to hesitate my shift into 2nd (because of people or whatever) and let the revs drop a little it'll grind. I find a firm decisive shift works best.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:57 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

I have this problem too and have the same questions.

What damage is being done?

Changin the tranny fluid works for about 2 months, and then it goes back tohow it was before.

Another question: The TSB only applies to the earlier cars...does that mena Honda fixed the problem on later cars?
Old 11-03-2005, 08:52 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Seems like the issue is predominant, but does anyone have technical knowledge on how much 'abuse' the tranny can take like this before having adverse consequences?
Old 11-04-2005, 01:13 AM

I have that notchy 2nd gear. also get a thump when going into 1st gear.

a few times it popped out of 1st and 2nd on me. scared the hell out of me cause it almost stalls and has a loud bang. This happens when a little cold.

I've been driving stick for 18 years so I'm not a newbie.

cars going to the dealer in the morning to see. 9200 miles right now
Old 11-04-2005, 03:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem going into 2nd, usually just when cold. It happened twice this morning.
Now that I'm waiting for it, I just engage the clutch again as soon as I feel/hear the first kick from the gears, and it always goes into gear the second time I try it.
It's really annoying, though.
I've been driving stick shifts for over 20 years and never had this happen in any other car, so I don't think it's me.

Quick Reply: Occasional 2nd gear grind, it's not going to