S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Occasional 2nd gear grind, it's not going to

Old 11-03-2005, 10:53 AM

Received 426 Likes on 237 Posts
Default Occasional 2nd gear grind, it's not going to

Every once in a while a combination of factors comes into play where I do a decent grind trying to get into 2nd gear. Presuming I grind the gears once a week or so for the next 3 years, will there be any major damage or wear on the tranny?

Are the gears pretty strong and can they withstand occasional grinding without shearing off or wearing down too quickly?

Search is sucking and couldn't find anything. I don't think it's really a defect per se, I'm just not clutching enough sometimes when I grab a hard second gear shift at redline.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it notchy, or grinding? there is a difference, before my S i had and RSX-S and that had the 2nd gear grind / notchyness people alyways complained about it. i had it for 3 years, never any damage, always was notchy unitll it got warmed up after driving like 15 min or so. i have the same thing in my 04 S, i guess honda seems to have a probem with 2nd gear lol.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:19 AM

It's notchy when it's cold, but sometimes even when it's warmed up, it'll grind when I try to grab a very hard shift into 2nd gear at redline. I've been shifting for years, including in cars much faster and with 'worse' gearboxes, so I don't think it's my driving style.

It just seems like sometimes, the gearbox decides, "Hey, I'm not going to go into 2nd gear this time and I'll grind in protest instead." It's really strange. But, then the next time I wind it out 1st gear and shift into second, it seems fine?!?!
Old 11-03-2005, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have this issue too and the i know for sure the clutch is all the way down. i'd also like to know the answer to this. does anyone know why it grinds?
Old 11-03-2005, 11:23 AM

Also, please note that I don't end up making the 2nd gear. When it grinds I immediately push back up the stick, reengage the clutch, and then go into 2nd. It's not like it grinds and then goes into gear. It's a very loud, obnoxious grind and I immediately 'cancel' the shift and go to neutral, then reclutch and then get into 2nd.

It happens sporadically, again, even when the tranny/car is completely warmed up. Most of the time, it's fine, that is why it's annoying. It just seems to happen whenever it wants to....
Old 11-03-2005, 11:29 AM

My '02 has occasionally grinded 2nd gear for years now. But in my case, it only tends to happen at lower revs and when the car isn't fully warmed up yet. I've yet to experience a grind once the car and transmission have warmed up sufficiently.

The good news is that at 88k miles and with years of occasional grinds, my transmission is still working fine. Granted, I'm probably grinding at much lower revs than you are, but in my case nothing has broken (yet).
Old 11-03-2005, 11:31 AM

This notchiness going into second seems to be very common. I've found a whole slew of messages about it on this site. My 2005 has about 3500 miles on it and I keep hoping that the problem will go away as it gets broken it, but from the sounds of these other messages it won't happen. Some recommend switching differential oil to GM Syncromesh FM and others say to take to the dealer. I'm going to have the dealer look at it first, since masking a problem with the synchros by using a different oil doesn't sound like the best fix.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by vernfin,Nov 3 2005, 08:31 PM
Some recommend switching differential oil to GM Syncromesh FM and others say to take to the dealer.
GM Synchromesh FM is for the transmission, not the differential.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:45 AM

Even just changing out to fresh Honda OEM MTF helps. My AP2 was notchy in second when cold from the day it left the showroom. At 700 miles I changed the MTF fluid and the notchyness went away by about 75% when cold. It always shifted fine when warmed up (after 3-4 minutes of driving).
Old 11-03-2005, 12:18 PM

good to hear the problem is widespread. now does anyone know why it happens?

Quick Reply: Occasional 2nd gear grind, it's not going to