S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Notify on Suspicious seats?

Old 02-04-2004, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Notify on Suspicious seats?

Ok so here's a general question for the S2k community? So considering how many seats are getting stolen, I wonder if we should have some place or policy to notify s2ki members about seat sales in their area. Personally I would be suspicious about any seats for sale. Opinions....

For instance considering the theft of webmaeker, s2k from sausalito, I did a little search on Craigslist, a popular bay area buy and sell list. I noticed a pair of Black s2k seats for sale at $700.00. Seems a bit low to me but I don't know how much they go for second hand. The ad was posted on 1/31/04 so I think that was before webmaeker's car was stolen but I'll check with him. FYI to all those in the bay area.

It made me wonder if we should have some forum, etc... for listing suspicious sales. Call it our own internet 'Neighborhood Watch' Could post in the regional forums(i'll link the Bay Area one here), but I know I don't always check my regional one that often. Anybody think this might be a good idea?
Old 02-05-2004, 01:51 AM

well what can you actually do unless you had serial numbers or special markings on the seats? how can you prove that those seats were stolen seats?
there's really no point
Old 02-05-2004, 02:25 AM

Well, for one thing I would think that some questions could be asked about where they got the seats to sell, assuming of course that they do not have an s2000. The problem is that law enforcement does not consider it to be worth worrying about. Without their help, there is not much that can be done.

But just for the record it does make me madder than hell that people do this crap.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by xmugens2kx
well what can you actually do unless you had serial numbers or special markings on the seats? how can you prove that those seats were stolen seats?
there's really no point
thats definlty a great point.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:20 AM
Ash

I wonder if there is some application of that thing that people use to ID their pets. Insert some little chip into the seats etc. of course this would have to be a much wider application kinda thing... but it's gotta start somewhere right? I don't think anything superficial is going to do the trick. Obviously VIN#'s haven't been so effective that way
Old 02-05-2004, 05:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The So Fla group keeps an eye out for this type of thing (Ebay auctions, cars w/ S2000 seats that don't belong in them, etc.) & we usually post about it in our regional forum. But as Kutter said, what good does it do if the cops are going to tell you there's nothing they can do?!

We've tossed around some ideas such as etching an identifying code on a part of the seat that can't be seen normally.

Honda would be smarter to just make the seats in a way so that they will not easily fit into other cars. I'm sure this would curb most of the thefts. What good is a seat if it won't fit in another car?

Old 02-05-2004, 05:08 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those could be my seats and I know a way to identify them too, or at least rule them out. It's hard to tell though because s2000 seats are always on sale on Craig's list. My car was broken into in SF on around Dec 12, 03, my top was slashed and my seats and stereo were stolen. One problem is that the person could check out this site and then know if people were after them.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:34 AM

wow, that really sucks raj but as someone mentioned, if we "mark" our seats in a way we can identify them, such as stiched initials etc etc, this will be a great way to tell if they are really yours also the seat locks are a great idea and cheap insurance
Old 02-05-2004, 05:54 AM

However, the question is even if you mark your seats in some way and think they are in someones car what can the Police do about it. If a cop came up to me and asked to look at my seats He would be told no. Unless they see something illegal in the car they have no right to search it.

They can't just search it because someone told them there is a stolen seat in it.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:08 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JerseyGirl
The So Fla group keeps an eye out for this type of thing (Ebay auctions, cars w/ S2000 seats that don't belong in them, etc.) & we usually post about it in our regional forum.

Quick Reply: Notify on Suspicious seats?