S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Notchy Transmission problem SOLVED! (GM Syncromesh)

Old 09-25-2002, 05:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

guys let us know when it is sub zero, <32F. We are curious on how well it performs under "real" cold
Old 09-25-2002, 06:23 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by FormerH22a4
guys let us know when it is sub zero, <32F. We are curious on how well it performs under "real" cold
I think that most tranny oils will work OK and flow OK down to -15*C (+5*F). "Real" cold for us is way below this and I doubt any of our members with the GM fluid live in an area that gets "real" cold. But let us know anyway!
Old 09-25-2002, 09:00 AM

Dave, do you think I should try this fluid, my tranny was a bit rough into 2nd this morning again.
Old 09-25-2002, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Danny, I think we should try each other's cars. I'm curious to see what this is about. Mine is never difficult to shift, but there is a definite "click" when changing gears. (Which I like) I'm curious to see if that is what everyone means by 'notchiness".
Old 09-25-2002, 09:18 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Dave, do you think I should try this fluid, my tranny was a bit rough into 2nd this morning again.
As "t.c." stated, it may be difficult for us to get the "real thing" in Canada but if you can find it, why not? Since I know you take quite a bit of care in warming up your car before you take off, the fluid would at least have a chance to warm up a bit. However, I would take Woodson's offer to try each other's cars. This whole "notchiness" thing may, in fact be normal and many people, including yourself, may be worried about nothing. I suppose I could say that my tranny is notchy too but to me, this is perfectly normal and is much less notchy than any other vehicle I have ever driven except an early '70s Datsun pickup truck. There was absolutely no feel of any kind in that tranny, no grinding, no notchiness, no gates, no resistance, NO NOTHING! (Yeah, I know, a double negative.) Like Tim, I really like to have that bit of notchiness in a tranny. It tells me that I have positively engaged the gear.
Old 09-25-2002, 09:32 AM

I think that clicking into gear is normal and is good to know that it is in gear. I don't know but 2nd is my only problem gear when it is cold. Sometimes it is tough and traps me at the gate and sometimes it blows pass the resistance point in which case I will feel minor bumps through the shifter. I've felt this minor bumps or minor grind about 6 times since march.

I warm my car and tranny up for about 3-4 minutes every morning before leaving. I would also go slow for about half a block in 1st to help that out too but sometimes it still does it.

I'll try to find that GM fluid worth a shot.

Tim, I'll take you up on that offer, we'll try our cars out when we get our tires swapped out. It might not give you the feeling though since my car is normal when it is warm and only displays toughness in 2nd for the first 3-4 minutes after leaving in the mornings.
Old 09-25-2002, 05:38 PM

I went to the largest GM dealer in town and picked up 2 Litres of their Synchromesh.

Here are a couple pics of the bottle.

http://eunity.ca/images/tsunami/synchro
http://eunity.ca/images/tsunami/synchro1

The little write up on the back sounds similar to what has been mentioned.

Can anyone let me know if this is the right stuff??
Old 09-25-2002, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to the largest GM dealer in town and picked up 2 Litres of their Synchromesh.

Can anyone let me know if this is the right stuff??
The part number and container shape is different. As t.c. wrote, the 'correct' number is 12345349 in a round container. I picked some up yesterday, so I don't think this is discontinued. Could it be Canada is going to this one for viscosity more in line with the upcoming winter climate?
Old 09-25-2002, 05:52 PM

It might just be a packaging issue. Ours comes in Litres and the label has to be different for bi-lingual laws. The guy said he has heard other non GM owners using it and the viscosity is near that of 5W 30.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might just be a packaging issue. Ours comes in Litres and the label has to be different for bi-lingual laws. The guy said he has heard other non GM owners using it and the viscosity is near that of 5W 30.
It certainly has the correct verbage on both of the labels, front and back. I would say that the difference is in the packaging. From what I have seen of my container, I would say that you have the right fluid.

Bob

Quick Reply: Notchy Transmission problem SOLVED! (GM Syncromesh)