S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Notchy Transmission problem SOLVED! (GM Syncromesh)

Old 09-23-2002, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Notchy Transmission problem SOLVED! (GM Syncromesh)

I have MY02 with 19,9xxx miles (mostly highway miles)

My transmission has been notchy (1-2shift,2-3shift) since the day one(never grinded though) So today I finally went to a local Chevy dealer and bought 2 quarts of GM SYNCROMESH manual transmission fluid ($9.99/quart)
I came back home, jacked up the car (always use car stands!) and drained the stock Honda fluid and filled with 1.6quart of GM SYNCROMESH.

Boy what a difference it makes! I must say I am very please with this stuff. I can't say my tranny is smooth like cutting butter but it definately made a HUGE difference.
I no longer feel metal objects rubbing into each other when I shift into gears

I also tried to change out the rear diff. fluid too, but I didn't have to correct size wrench or socket

I'm not a novice mechanic, and filling the tranny fluid was the most difficult task. What a pain in the ass it was. I used long 5feet tube I bought from home-depot and my dad had to help me filling while I was holding the tube into the fill hole.

Anway to GM Syncromesh! I'ma happy camper now
Old 09-23-2002, 03:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

let me know how good it works in the cold, if TX ever gets cold
Old 09-23-2002, 06:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by peterpan

I'm not a novice mechanic, and filling the tranny fluid was the most difficult task. What a pain in the ass it was. I used long 5feet tube I bought from home-depot and my dad had to help me filling while I was holding the tube into the fill hole.

Anway to GM Syncromesh! I'ma happy camper now
All you needed was a cheap pump from the auto parts store and it would have been so much easier to fill the transmission. You can buy a pump that will screw into a gallon bottle (washer fluid) and it only costs about $7. It works great for the differential, also.

Formerh22a4, it was down to 45 degrees F this morning with no problem. I have GM Synchromesh Fluid in my transmission, also. It mentions on the label that it was formulated for cold weather. I also read that Ford recommends it for hard shifting Mustang transmissions in cold weather.

We'll see,
Bob
Old 09-23-2002, 08:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm weary about corrupting my Honda w/GM fluids....any chemists out there who can assure me GM Synchromesh won't lead to some weird failure or problem?
Old 09-24-2002, 08:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are worried about the GM product just get some Redline Synthetic Tranny Fluid. Works wonders.
Old 09-24-2002, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by boiler

All you needed was a cheap pump from the auto parts store and it would have been so much easier to fill the transmission. You can buy a pump that will screw into a gallon bottle (washer fluid) and it only costs about $7. It works great for the differential, also.

Bob
Believe or not I went to Autozone and O'really and I was told they didn't have the hand pump. maybe they were just idiots
Old 09-24-2002, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by peterpan
[B]

Believe or not I went to Autozone and O'really and I was told they didn't have the hand pump.
Old 09-24-2002, 06:15 PM

I bought my tranny oil pump from a marine parts store. Its actually for pumping oil into outboard motors, but is the same setup with a tube that fits into the quart of oil, the pump unit and a tube that fits perfectly into the tranny. Just though I'd let you guys know about this to broaden your options trying to find one.
Old 09-24-2002, 06:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by boiler
Formerh22a4, it was down to 45 degrees F this morning with no problem. I have GM Synchromesh Fluid in my transmission, also. It mentions on the label that it was formulated for cold weather. I also read that Ford recommends it for hard shifting Mustang transmissions in cold weather.

We'll see,
Bob
Geez, there might be hope for us guys who live in igloos! I won't risk it this winter as I've only just replaced my tranny fluid last season. I'll give it a try next spring and leave it in for the following winter.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:17 PM

Anybody can send me two bottle of this miracle juice? All the GM dealers i went to, here in Montreal said that the part number 12345349 is changed and they keep telling me that it's the same fluid inside the crap they want to sell me, but i have tried it and it's the same notchy gear box i have !!
Help me O B WAN KENOBI your my only hope !!

Quick Reply: Notchy Transmission problem SOLVED! (GM Syncromesh)