S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

not confident in the S handling at high speed

Old 04-08-2004, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not confident in the S handling at high speed

not sure what it is thats making me uneasy...

there is a hwy ramp that i used to take 80-90 mph daily in my miata without hesitation. the miata would communicate EVERYTHING to me, and if grip started to go, i could feel the whole car drift a back off.

well, since i have had my S (a month or so ago) i just dont like the feedback i get from the car going into the turn. i only go through at about 75 cause it just doesnt feel right. not sure if its the somewhat more numb steering, softer springs that float a bit more, or the extra 400 lbs of car...

note that the tires are exactly the same - toyo proxes t1 S - which i am personally love and am very used to.

also, i have heard that the S can bite you - everything feels ok then it loses control - maybe i'm just a bit tentative cause of that too.

anyway, i am tihnking of swapping the springs out for more flat cornering and i would like to take a beginners track class at sears point so i can feel the limits of my car. at this point, i just dont trust it wiping would SUK

any thoughts or recommendations? anyone else feel uncertain about the cars handling characteristics? how did you get over it / correct it?

thx
Old 04-08-2004, 08:43 AM

Taking it to the track will do wonders for your self confidence because yes, you will learn the limits of your car.

That's about the best thing you can do for you and your car, if you want to push it to the limits... I've been planning to take my car to the track, too, thanks to Maryann!
Old 04-08-2004, 08:45 AM

anyone know of upcoming classes at sears point? it would be cool if they had S specific classes... i know they do that for miatas (tho there are alot more of those out there).
Old 04-08-2004, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Bryan what are you doing this weekend? If you wants for a bottle of Sprite you can drive my car around that bend. The only difference are the slospeeds I'm dumped on. Maybe placebo, but I'm thinking the lower ride height produces less lift. That's pretty much the only difference + my bald ass tires

edit: oh yeah and the STB and the subframe bars and the x-brace too. hmm...
Old 04-08-2004, 08:46 AM

mudguards keeps ur car more stable at higher spds.
r u serious? is that why those little flaps are in front of the tires?
Old 04-08-2004, 08:49 AM

dong, we gotta watch your sugar intake with all this Sprite im sending your way...

im actually staying in pismo beach this weekend, but maybe in the next couple weeks. i would like to feel the difference with the nuespeeds if possible.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:52 AM

yeah, the feeling i get is that the car kinda lifts up, and the weight shifts heavily to the outside of the turn. never really got that in the miata.

i just want the thing PLANTED. if it starts to drift that fine cause i can adjust outta that... maybe sway bars?
Old 04-08-2004, 08:54 AM

spring spacers??
Old 04-08-2004, 08:57 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by webmaecker
Old 04-08-2004, 08:59 AM

What size rims are you running? If stock, have you tried the same corner with S02's instead of the Toyos?

Quick Reply: not confident in the S handling at high speed