S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

NOS/SC question about RJ's ride

Old 01-01-2002, 07:10 PM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i get my s2k this was my plan, after i break it in and drive it for a while i'll throw some nitrous on there until i could afford some type of fi (leaning more to sc for driveability on road course cause i enjoy doing that) and then i was thinking about what i'd do with the nitrous but i think i'll keep it on there, I'm just afraid of the axles going bye bye. Going to need some drivetrain upgrades hehe

Karim
Old 01-01-2002, 07:48 PM

I think the axles are considered weak because of the 7k launches that they are given. With the added torque and HP NOS or boost the severe launch is unecessary. Most drivetrain breakage occurs whenit is "shocked" by forcing 240 horses through a motionless part.
I have raced a 200+ hp civic for several years on NOS on stock axles. I saw guys break axles once a month with half the horsepower I had. It comes down to how you abuse the car and what it is capable of. My civ had a GSR engine with type R trans, 100 shot of NOS made it a monster. 215hp and 280 ft.lbs of torque. (at the wheels) As long as you dont hit the bottle from a dead stop, you should never break an axle.
Old 01-01-2002, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by integrate
it was a movie for christ sake....

SHOW CARS!!
I know just wanna check if the sc/nos setup was possible.
Old 01-01-2002, 09:57 PM
Former Moderator

full i hear you all the way, sounds like one sweet civic you got there also. hey wes how have your axles held up with the supercharger and the other mods you have? What are you launching at when you drag?

Karim
Old 01-02-2002, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by KrazyKarim
hey wes how have your axles held up with the supercharger and the other mods you have? What are you launching at when you drag?
Do a search on the board for username "Wesmaster" and "axle" and you'll find some good info. Also search for "Differential". I'll give you the short story. SC + ACT Clutch + High RPM drops = Broken Stuff. Everything was cool until I went with a clutch with more clamping force. I'm not knocking the clutch, it's nice, just seems like the stock clutch didn't shock the rear end as much. I haven't launched since I got everything fixed, but have played with some 5,500 RPM slip outs, and the car gets out OK, but nothing like dropping the hammer. I'm going to rid my car of this problem soon...beefier axles and cryogenically frozen differential housing.
Old 01-02-2002, 06:37 AM

right now I'm looking into swapping out the whole center section and replacing it with maybe and 8.8 rearend out of a cobra r or a ford thunderbird I've been lazy, once I give myself a kick in the ass me and my father will get started with this project.... then after that I'll take a stroll down to the Drive shaft shop and have frank adapt some beefier axles for this application the reason I'm gonna see if this will work is because I just can't justify spending 1000.00 for a ring and pinion for this car... a set of gears for an 8.8 rear costs me about 270-300 dollars...plus it's a stronger unit than what's in the car anyway.
After everythings said and done I'm gonna get some 4.56 gear or 4.44/4.30 and get my supercharger ( hello vortech, what's going on ) and I'm looking fo some 12.?? second passes
Old 01-02-2002, 06:55 AM

Originally posted by jaynite
...8.8 rearend out of a cobra r or a ford thunderbird...
When this type of swap is made, is the the whole assembly, including the housing, or just the gears? Because the stock housing is a weak point in the rear-end.
Old 01-02-2002, 07:05 AM

FAST and FURIOUS is out today!!
Old 01-02-2002, 07:28 AM
Former Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FULLTHROTTLE
[B]I think the axles are considered weak because of the 7k launches that they are given.
Old 01-02-2002, 05:33 PM

Yea, thunderchickens had 8.8 irs rearends. I thought about that kind of a swap myself. I am eager to see if it works.

Quick Reply: NOS/SC question about RJ's ride