S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Is this normal?...

Old 01-03-2004, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this normal?...

Occasionally when shifting the car (generally shifting around 4K RPMs or a bit above) it seems almost as if the car is lugging. It only happens occasionally but the car feels jerky, kind of bouncing back and forth for a few seconds. I'm not accustomed to this in my previous cars and was curious if it was related to shifting technique and is a normal thing in these cars.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:31 AM

i could be mistaken so please do not quote me on this. but i had a similar problem with i had my frist car, a 90' honda prelude. it was caused by the clutch going bad. i am not positive though, so hopefully some other members will have some ideas as well. but in that situation, if ithappens enough. i would have it looked at personally.

chad
Old 01-03-2004, 11:04 AM

It doesn't seem like any clutch problem that i've ever experienced. It happened again to me just a little while ago on the way to the gym. I actually shifted at around 8000, I had gunned it through first gear, and then went to part throttle when I shifted into second and the car began to buck for a second or two until I let off the gas. Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 01-03-2004, 12:11 PM

When I'm shifting near the limits, I try to minimize the amount of time the clutch pedal spends during the pedal travel movement range. I either want it all the way in, or all the way out 99.9% of the time when shifting at those speeds.

When shifting, are you releasing the gas pedal all the way, IMMEDIATELY engaging the clutch (almost at the same time the gas pedal is released), making the shift, release clutch engagement (sometimes a little gas can help here if you need to rev match), then resume acceleration? And by immediate, I mean you push the clutch pedal down as fast as you can.

If you were to take your time at 8000 RPMs, I could see the car reacting in the manner you describe.

Now if this is happening to you at 4000 RPMs also, then I don't know. I can shift casually at 4000 RPMs and no problems. I don't shift casually at 8000 though.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:20 PM

I don't believe it's related to my shifting technique, I've been driving nothing but manual transmissions for 12 years, and high performance driving is actually a part of my job. I've never experienced anything like this in porsches or audi's or any of the other cars I am familiar with. It could be related to throttle position, as I noticed that this occurred when I went from full throttle in first gear to part throttle in second gear. It never does it when I am full throttle and shifting quickly, only part throttle and for the most part it had been taking place at moderate RPM's. I'm beginning to think it is a hardware issue, but I would like to have a reasonable idea of what it might be before I take the car into the dealership. The car only has about 3200 miles in the last year and a half, I bought it a week ago with 3000 miles. Incidentally I noticed after purchasing the car that the oil was low and took nearly a quart to get it up to the middle of the dipstick, apparently the previous owner was clueless. Hopefully this hasn't caused any long-term damage.