S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Noises from the rear of car, need help!

Old 04-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noises from the rear of car, need help!

Ok, my car is making a strange noise and I'm not sure if I should be worried or not... I'm pretty sure its coming from the driver side rear. Sounds coming from around the wheel area. It's hard to describe, but it makes a sound like maybe 2 hollow metal pipes tapping each other, or maybe like to drum sticks tapping each other, kind of a squeaking noise. It's kind of just a high pitch tapping sound. And it makes the noise with like every rotation of the wheel it seems.

It doesn't seem to be affecting the cars performance or handling, it just makes this annoying noise. I mostly hear it and speeds below 15mph (maybe because no road noise at this point, not sure about higher speeds). I don't know what could have caused this. The only thing I can think of is a few weeks back I was lowering the rear coilovers just a little bit and I forgot to tighten the lug nuts tight when putting the wheel back on. So after driving a bit I heard the wheels was loose and wobbling a bit, so I simply tightened the lug nuts on the side of the road and every thing was cool.

So I'm not sure if that caused the noise or what... But here is the weird part; I hear the noise when driving around at low speeds going FORWARD. So I was curious what would happen if I drove in REVERSE, trying to see if the noise would be there. And it made NO noise in reverse. So I was like WTF could it be. I took of the wheel off yesterday, re-tightened it and looked at the coilovers and the suspension and everything looked cool. So I dunno what to do.

So to recap, I'm hearing an annoying tapping, squeaking sound coming from the driver side rear of the car around the wheel area. Can hear it when going forward and not in reverse. Every thing looks cool just a very annoying sound. Makes noise with every rotation of the wheel it seems.

Hopefully you guys can help; I
Old 04-07-2006, 10:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

click click from worn CV?
Old 04-07-2006, 10:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec9,Apr 7 2006, 10:33 AM
click click from worn CV?
I don't think its that... The cv joint on that side is actually only about 8 months old... It was replaced when I had an accident last summer when I first had the car. S0 I dont think its that... But I'll look at it again to double check,
Old 04-07-2006, 12:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Go feel all the wheel weights. One of them might be coming unstuck. If they are all solid, the jack up the car and undo all the lugnuts and do them back up again evenly. Make sure you do the final torquing with the tire back down on the ground and the weight of the car on it.