S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Noise When Taking Off in 1st

Old 06-18-2002, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise When Taking Off in 1st

It seems that after the engine and transmission have warmed up, taking off in 1st gear generates a "metallic shuttering" noise if I don't ease the clutch out VERY slowly. The noise is similar to when you bog the engine down by trying to accelerate in too high of a gear, but the noise is a little higher pitched in this case. The car doesn't shake or shutter when the noise occurs. To avoid the noise, I have to ease off the clutch very slowly while continuing to give it more gas.

The noise started to occur after about 700 miles. It almost seems like I have to ride the clutch to avoid the noise when taking off.

Anyone else have this problem too?
Old 06-18-2002, 01:19 PM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

I've got about 3000 miles on mine, and I noticed something like this start a while ago (don't recall exactly when). It sounds exactly like my wife's Civic when the car's heat shield got loose, though on my S it's not that loud, and it goes away if I rev it a little extra or be extra careful releasing the clutch (like you mentioned). I haven't investigated it yet, though now that you reminded me about it, I'm going to pay extra attention this evening when I go out for a drive.

JonasM
Old 06-18-2002, 05:07 PM

I hear a similar sound when I take off, it's like two metal plates that are rubbing against each other. If you take off from 2nd after almost stopping, you should hear it too.

Mine is a 6-week old 2002. I always assumed it was the differential.
Old 06-18-2002, 06:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RJ_S2K
[B]It seems that after the engine and transmission have warmed up, taking off in 1st gear generates a "metallic shuttering" noise if I don't ease the clutch out VERY slowly. The noise is similar to when you bog the engine down by trying to accelerate in too high of a gear, but the noise is a little higher pitched in this case. The car doesn't shake or shutter when the noise occurs. To avoid the noise, I have to ease off the clutch very slowly while continuing to give it more gas.

The noise started to occur after about 700 miles.
Old 06-19-2002, 05:30 AM

I have had this noise since I got mine about a month ago, I'm only at 4400 miles but it does sound like a soft rattle coming from the center when taking off in 1st. Chris
Old 06-19-2002, 09:21 AM

With 22K and counting.... I, too, have started to notcied this noise. I'm hoping that the clutch TSB will resolve it.
Old 06-20-2002, 01:48 PM

Where is the noise coming from??? Is it from the rear of the car. I had a creaking noise coming from the rear and it had something to do with greasing the spindle nut.
Old 06-20-2002, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by MarkS2K
Where is the noise coming from??? Is it from the rear of the car. I had a creaking noise coming from the rear and it had something to do with greasing the spindle nut.
This noise appears to be coming from the transmission area. It's hard to tell exactly. I need to have someone else listen while I take off. I went to an isolated area next to a building, rolled the driver's side window down, and took off. The noise was really noticeable then because the sound was bouncing off the building right into my ear.
Old 06-20-2002, 11:47 PM

check your heat shield !!
Old 06-21-2002, 03:37 AM

Yes, I know exactly what you people are talking about, my '02 does that, it's very subtle.....something an owner would notice. All I got from the dealer about it was a fat "CND" (Could Not Duplicate)

Quick Reply: Noise When Taking Off in 1st