S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Nissan publishing LIES about the S2000

Old 08-28-2002, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ltweintz
I say good......let all the dumb people who believe it buy one of those instead. Leaves more for us!
I won't go so far as to call them dumb, but I agree with you. To each his own. If someone is happier in a heavier, closed roof car then good for them. If straight line acceleration is more important than balance and handling, then good for them. I hope Nissan sells every single Z car it can make. Competition is good for everyone and despite the fact that I am adimently against comparing the S2K to the Z (different sorts of cars and all) I think that a good Z car will make Honda make a better S car.

Me, I'll keep my S and enjoy the most visceral car available on the market for less than $50,000.
Old 08-28-2002, 01:42 PM

Received 5,341 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Nissian is banking on the new Z big time. Here's what the ad boy's have come up with:

The plan, beginning Sept. 4, will supplant all current Nissan advertising and other communications -- which are succeeded with the tagline "Driven."

The new plan, which Nissan prefers to call a marketing platform rather than a campaign, will be built around the tagline "Shift_" -- the focus of Nissan Motor Co.'s global image campaign, which was started early this year in Japan.

It will feature a series of brand-building advertisements showing footage of important events in life and history -- a home video showing a child's first step, a shot of immigrants arriving to America, news footage of Germans tearing down the Berlin wall.

"A confident and revitalized Nissan needed a bold new approach to our marketing," says Steve Wilhite, Nissan vice president of marketing. "It will be about who we are and what we stand for."

The word Shift will be followed by a compliment that will match the advertisement's message. Commercials for the Nissan 350Z sports car, for example, will feature taglines like "Shift_passion," "Shift_speed" and "Shift_dreams."

Much of the marketing will be focused on Nissan's halo car, the 350Z, which begins delivery in September.

"The challenge becomes how to spread the Z magic to other vehicles," says Rob Schwartz, executive creative director at TBWA/Chiat/Day, Nissan's advertising agency.
Old 08-28-2002, 01:48 PM

Too bad we can make our own ad that looks exactly the same, but has a lot of the comments said here and switch them for the ones at the Nissan dealers.
Old 08-28-2002, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, the whole tagline approach sounds like a rip-off of Mercedes' ads in recent years (which usually finished off with tag lines like "passion", "love", etc.). I wonder if simply putting the "shift" in front will allow them to avoid ridicule. Of course, I haven't seen the ads yet, so this is all conjecture.

Marketing folks (I'm one of them, at least part time) are such interesting creatures. Instead of focusing on the meat, so many of them seem to go for the condiments - even when they have great products (like the new Z for example). Oh well...

UL
Old 08-28-2002, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by dlq04
It will feature a series of brand-building advertisements showing footage of important events in life and history -- a home video showing a child's first step, a shot of immigrants arriving to America, news footage of Germans tearing down the Berlin wall.
I just want to say that I HATE these kinds of commercials. I hate it when a company tries to compare their product with other "greatness" in the world/history/society, etc. Reminds me of the Jeep Liberty ads. MAN how I hated those. Just focus on what's cool about YOUR product, like the Subaru WRX ads. Those are good.
Old 08-28-2002, 02:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Shift ____ hmm", I hate to be an owner of a Nissan AT car, might think I got left behind
Old 08-28-2002, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Background: I've been lurking on this board for a long time. I considered selling my integra Type R for an S2000, but decided to try something different and went with a 350z instead.

Now to the good stuff:
1. This is internal propoganda for the stealer to spit at unknowledgable victims...not anything that is published for consumption by the public (except through a lying salesman's mouth). I'm sure any person on this board, or the 350z board, would laugh when the salesperson started spouting half-truths or misinformation about either car. We've all corrected car dealers on their mis-info...nothing new there...and we all know they don't know as much about cars in general as a serious enthusiast.

2. This is not something new, and goes on all the time..with all manufacturers...to be appalled/insulted/angered by this info is ridiculous. Nissan is trying at all costs to sell as many cars as possible...just what every other manufacturer does. Only time will tell whether they are releasing a product that delivers.

3. Please refrain from bashing the car on anything other than looks, unless you have driven, sat in (then you can slam the interior), or raced against a 350z. We all know that car rags are just another form of bench racing, and they don't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Ripping the Z apart now will just make you look foolish when real world situations begin contradicting your speculation and heresay.

Okay...I'm done preaching.

Anyway, my .02 is that the Z is delivering on the promise by Nissan to reinvent the affordable sportscar for the masses. Yes, it's mass-produced. No, it's not the fastest thing on 4 wheels. If you can't acknowledge that it really is a lot of car for the money though, then you're kidding yourself.

I should be getting mine within the next couple of weeks in Northern NJ if any true enthusiasts want to check it out. It never hurts to have too many car friends/racing buddies I always say.

BTW, here's a picture of the trunk with THREE golf bags in it.

Old 08-28-2002, 02:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

So does anyone know an email address at nissan so we can send our comments concerning their propaganda and how prospective buyers of which there r probably some who currently own an s2k, are turned off by the bullshit?
Old 08-28-2002, 02:18 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dlq04
[B]Nissian is banking on the new Z big time.
Old 08-28-2002, 02:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by rossmon1
So does anyone know an email address at nissan so we can send our comments concerning their propaganda and how prospective buyers of which there r probably some who currently own an s2k, are turned off by the bullshit?
Nissan wouldn't care. Send complaints to Honda and let the larger powers with more $$$ and lawyers fight it out.

Quick Reply: Nissan publishing LIES about the S2000