S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

A nice "loose your licence" run...

Old 10-14-2006, 08:05 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

I have had my 2005 up to the flasher on the tach in 6th. I was going an indicated 151mph at the time.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by geoff2005,Oct 14 2006, 03:56 AM
hahah really? for me it feels unstable going 90+
Seriously?

At 110 mph it feels very smooth to me...
Old 10-14-2006, 09:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AlX Boi,Oct 14 2006, 03:34 AM
I was scared because if caught going over 100mph, it's manslaughter and I'd be going to jail. No cars and a straight freeway of course. I'm old enough to not do retarded stuff anymore.
No way this is true. You cannot be charged with manslaughter if no one was killed. If you got in a wreck and killed someone, then yes. If you're simply exceeding 100 mph, it is not manslaughter.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty stupid regardless.... but keep it on the track please. We don't want to read about how some guy trying to max out his car hits a pothole or debris and loses control of the car and dies.... Keep it safe.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:53 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

In this particular case the clear & empty stretch of highway was techincally the best and safest place to do this.
The part of the Netherlands where I live is as flat as a pancake, weather was ok, good visability, no rain and the highways are well maintained here, this part in particlar was resurfaced about a year ago.
It was illegal, that is true
I don't know of, and do not have acces to (here in the Netherlands) tracks with such a long straight, and usually tracks have corners after a straight, this highway was straight (with just "highway curves") for many more miles.

It was a top Up drive.
Top down gives too much drag.

Sunday morning twisty mountain road drives have much more potential of being dangerous to the driver and oncoming traffic IMO.

I've driven in Germany too at those speeds, and because it is not illegal there (at that particular piece of AutoBahn) one could be tempted to do this with some traffic ahead, which is potentially dangerous.

Old 10-14-2006, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS,Oct 14 2006, 02:43 AM
Yesterday I just could not resist any longer.
I clear stretch of highway, clear as in no cars or trucks in sight.

So...
Shifted back to 4th to 5th and let "her" go all the way in 6th.

241 km/h.
It happened reasonably quick, a good feeling.
Then some cars were getting close fast so I slowed down.

The speedo is dead accurate up till 100 km/h, I've calibrated it with a GPS.

SpitfireS, I'm starting to see a lot of humor in some of the posts from people who haven't got a clue what the conditinos were like when one of us does something like this. Does it strike you funny too?
On the other hand, I'm not sure it's a good idea to encourage others to do this kind of thing, because some people lack the judgement that is needed to keep it reasonably safe.

To those who feel that the S2000 is unstable at speed, I suspect it's a matter of alignment or some other problem with your car. At one time I had a problem with my car being "darty" (or "unstable") to the point that it was scary at 130+ MPH, but as it turned out it was just a matter of the rear toe being out of spec. With good alignment, and a smooth, straight track, the car should be stable to beyond 150 MPH. I say that becasue I know that's the case with my car, and your's shouldn't be any different. There is some lift in the back, and the steering response is very quick at speed, but the car should be as stable at 150 MPH as it is at 50 MPH, unless you're taking corners or driving over a bumpy surface. If the alignment on the car is correct and the car still scares you at speed on a straight smooth track, then it's not the car that is to blame.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS,Oct 14 2006, 01:53 PM
It was a top Up drive.
Top down gives too much drag.
Top down just means it takes a little longer to get to the redline.
(Do ya think the SC and gears might help? )
Old 10-14-2006, 11:05 AM
jah

-get stopped doing 140+mph will not get a manslaughter charge in it self. you would have to had phucked up++ along the way.
-just because you have the technology dosnt make it an every day must do.
-a 140 speed is a straight line thingy, no skills are needed

i may have issues with taking a sprotbike to its limit, its a fraction of the weight and size of a car. how can you have blatant dis regard for your life and property?

the track is good sometimes
Old 10-14-2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by jah,Oct 14 2006, 02:05 PM
this is why the track is so fun

It's even better to have access to privately owned roads that can be closed off when not in use.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:22 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

RED MX5 Posted on Oct 14 2006, 09:03 PM
SpitfireS, I'm starting to see a lot of humor in some of the posts from people who haven't got a clue what the conditinos were like when one of us does something like this. Does it strike you funny too?
Funny.. ? Maybe carefull, or extra carefull
If anyone goes out after reading my post and opens it up to see how fast his/her car goes it is still their responsability.
OK.. I didn't start this post with "Do not try this at home"
I think of myself as "grown-up" enough to judge what I am doing.
To me or any other person it wasn't dangerous.. because there was no one else around

On the other hand, I'm not sure it's a good idea to encourage others to do this kind of thing, because some people lack the judgement that is needed to keep it reasonably safe.
Well.. IMO I did not encourage anyone

If the alignment on the car is correct and the car still scares you at speed on a straight smooth track, then it's not the car that is to blame.

jah Posted on Oct 14 2006, 09:05 PM
this is why the track is so fun
, very much so.
Unfortunatly there aren't many tracks here in the Netherlands, not like in the US where every one-horse-town has an oval or race track
I wish I could go to autoX events or track days every other weekend or so..

RED MX5 Posted on Oct 14 2006, 09:05 PM
[QUOTE]Top down just means it takes a little longer to get to the redline.

Quick Reply: A nice "loose your licence" run...