S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Next redesign 2005?

Old 02-06-2004, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MT sucks...
Old 02-06-2004, 12:57 PM

First, it's a forecast.

forecast (as in "prognosis") n. : a prediction about how something (as the weather) will develop

So Motor trend is just speculating. Personally, I think 2006 is when there will be the major revamp to the S2000.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:12 PM

seeing as how the 04 already got a pretty large power boost, I'd be interested to see what comes out of honda. The 04 was a restyle, not a total redesign.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nastinupe1
Old 02-06-2004, 02:34 PM

Hey, is ebonics officially a native language in the US. Gotta hand it to you Ludedude it must be a biyach trying to type in ebonics... Enjoy the grits...

As far as the MY05 is concerned. Remember that the S2000 was almost selved, or atleast it was nearing its demise in 02 when there was speculation that HONDA was going to kill it off after MY03... I think it was in MT then also if my memory serves me correct. This caused panic amongst some would be dream car owners. Honda is not making any money on this Car... The "S" and the NSX is just around to showcase their engineering ability as well as to have a car the motorsports enthusiasts can see, feel, and drive. Especially in Europe and Japan, where Touring Car and DTM, road course races are popular, it would be a shame for Honda to Mfg a F1 and Touring Car engine and car while only selling Econo/Mid size cars. Doesn't really bolster the image. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday... The S and the NSX brings out the kid dreamers out of people when they are buying Accords and Civics... Why do you think that Lexus has I300 touring car posters at the dealerships... My view and understanding from a designer friend at HRD in Torrance is that the car will be completely redesigned for MY07 to start selling in Mid 06'... But as of now, Honda as well as my friend is busy with Hybid and Sub-compacts. The Scion brand from TMC has put Honda on notice and they are busy with their answer. The entry point is becoming more and more important to these two companies with higher than average Brand Loyalty numbers... I believe that the (Fit) or (Jazz) would be a wonderful answer as well as the return of the CRX/Del Sol...
Old 02-06-2004, 02:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by exsilio
First, it's a forecast.

forecast (as in "prognosis") n. : a prediction about how something (as the weather) will develop

So Motor trend is just speculating. Personally, I think 2006 is when there will be the major revamp to the S2000.
When I go to my stockbroker for a forecast, I expect that it will be more than a speculation. A forecast should have some historical trending and heuristic variables to add to its validity. MT has none, and it is counter-intuitive - they spent many millions to freshen the car for 2004, and it does not sell enough to make a business case to do that every year. Cheesh.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:22 PM

1) Stockbrokers are idiots. Pure and simple. They are to money what weathermen are to the climate. They make better reporters of what happened than what will happen. It is very rare to find one that actually knows what they are talking about beyond what is obvious to anyone with half a brain in such matters. Brokers speculate and analyze. Sometimes on little info sometimes on more concrete evidence. How you invest is related to the level of info they are guessing on.

2) It is possible to speculate on the S2000. Car revisions are fairly cyclical and Honda has a pattern of revamping their models every five or six years. So it's not out of the question that we may see a new S2000 sometime in the next year or so.

I do agree that 2005 seems a bit soon considering the changes that went into the '04. That is why I feel 2006 would be a better guess. However, we don't know the cost of what into the changes for '04...so our speculations may be flawed too.

So, as they say, only time will tell.

Until then:

Old 02-06-2004, 05:21 PM

Honda's "update cycle" for the S2000 in terms of "design" is about every 4 years and the 04 is only in it's 1st years so u do the math ........yes exactly like the NSX not much change in looks THANK YOU LORD! (S2000 has a perfect body as is ) My $0.02....CDN
Old 02-06-2004, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most Hondas tend to have a generation change about every 5 years, with what I call a half-generation change at about 3 years. For instance, my Civic (98) is the third of five years. The lights, bumpers, dash boards, and engines were amoung some of the components changed from 98 to 99. A completely redesigned Civic came out in 01.

The S2000, as it is a lot more specialized and a lot more exotic seems to be following the a similar pattern, although most likely on a lenghtened schedule (like the NSX). It could be that it hangs around about as long as the NSX, but I'd venture to guess it won't if Honda would like it to continue to be a leader in the roadster category.

My estimation??? The current design (the second half of the first generation) should last at least one more year(05), probably two (06), maybe three or four. I'd expect after that for it to be either discontinued to a complete redesign. With a complete redesign I'd also expect a name change as I'm sure they'd put a different engine in it and hopefully they'd stick with the historical naming convention (I can completely understand while the 04 is still an S2000 as they simply stroked the oringinal engine and it's really not a generation change.).
Old 02-06-2004, 06:17 PM

2004 is actually the last year of production

Quick Reply: Next redesign 2005?