S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Newbie here, thinking of buying......would like some thoughts....

Old 06-25-2003, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie here, thinking of buying......would like some thoughts....

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I have a feeling it may soon become my home. I test drove an S2000 this moring and was very impressed. In my new car search I have gone from looking at a new Audi S4, to a Boxster S, and now to the S2000. I think I may have found my car. The S4 was too much $ for the car, the Boxster S just makes me nervous (I've had 3 Porsches and they get to be a pain w/ expensive repair bills, and I was looking at used ones), so now it looks like a new S2000 may be the car for me.

Here are my thoughts from my test drive, if anyone cares....I thought it had more down low than I was expecting (a pleasant surprise), but it had a bit less up top than I expected (mildly disappointing, but still nice). Handling - Great!! Brakes - Great!! The quality seemed to be very good. While I was driving I felt a bit disappointed, but ever since I left the dealer I just am dying to drive it some more, I guess that tells me something. I think the 9k redline was wiggin' me out, "can I really do this without something exploding on me?" It seems like a car that you could spend the whole day driving and never get tired of it. I honestly think I will be getting one soon, but I have a few questions.

Okay, here goes. I'm 6'5" and it was a bit snug. I have seen the thread on lowering the seat, but I really don't want to do this to my new baby. Any of you tall owners find this to be a real problem? I don't mind cramped spaces, but I want driving to be enjoyable. If the steering wheel tilted a 1/4 inch it would probably be fine. Also, do you guys think it would be worth the wait to get an '04 with the 2.2 in it? 10 hp doesn't seem like a big deal to me, will the torque be that much greater? Is the SMG tranny a definite or just a rumor? I love the BMW SMG, and would find that hard to resist. Are dealers dealing on these at all? And finally, they are reliable as most other Hondas aren't they?

Sorry for all the questions. I hopefully I'll be a regular member here soon.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:25 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

gheyland

Welcome to the board.

I am small, 5'4", so I can't answer any of your questions regarding your size.

As far as your test drive goes, understand you have only experienced the tip of the ice berg. For me, and for many others, the S2000 experience gets better with every drive. The higher revs may have disappointed you because it was your first time in the car and you need time to get used to it, and understand it. You mentioned that while you were driving you felt a bit disappointed. I don't understand exactly what you mean except that maybe you need to drive it more.

As far as the 2004 model, the only facts that we think we know is the 2.2L engine, "enhanced" interior and instrumentation (whatever that means), and New Rio Yellow (I think thats the new color). Everything else is pure speculation, and may or may not appear. I don't think you should expect an SMG transmission in MY2004.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:28 PM

As long as your realize that is this a no frills minimalist SPORTS car, you will be fine.

concerning the height. can't help,. I am a paltry 5'11". seat lowering or aftermarket seats would be your best bet if the s2000 is a little tight. I have a friend of similar dimensions, he stated that the s2000 was the only roadster that he "fits" in.

concerning the '04. everything (almost) is rumor. If you can handle missing out on this summer in an s2000, you loss nothing by waiting. Better prices and actual answers (not guesses) to your questions about model upgrades. Dealers are dealing, but will deal more on the '03s when the '04 comes out.

As long as you don't drop the clutch, check the oil, change the tires (about every 10k on the rears), this car has Honda reliabilty. It has more issues than a civic, but far less than any sports car has any right to dream of. Most issues are minor inconvienences. Most issues that you hear about on this board, are major issues that happen to a select few.

on realiability.. do a search for Xviper's thread on "hey , my s2000 started today"
Old 06-25-2003, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I felt the same way when I drove this car. Low-end power was better than I expected (everyone made it sound like it lacked low end power completely, which it does not). High end was dissapointing to me, but I was only stepping up from an RSX Type S which has an 8,100 fuel cut off.

Can't say much about interior room, as I'm only 5'8" - but I've had people as tall as you ride in my car and they have not complained.

Reliability will be good. It will be one of the most reliable sports cars out there.

This car really does get better and better every time you drive it!
Old 06-25-2003, 08:30 PM

6' 5" won't fit
try M3 conv. or clk conv.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm 6'2" and can barely fit comfortably while driving without shoes. with shoes on, the knee hits the steering column too easily and hinders any type of heel/toeing. and even if you do decide to lower the seats via aftermarket seats or home-made remedy, it still will not solve the problem because when you lower the seating position, the lesser knee angle from the lower sitting position will force your legs to extend further requiring more legroom, which the s2k cockpit cannot provide.

as for reliability, i've owned other hondas in the past and for the most part you're plagued with minor problems here and there. my previouis honda was a 99 prelude SH, and both that car and my S2k made ticking noises from the headline/convertible top. both have seats that made squeaky noises when the cushion and fabric/leather rub together. both have rear suspensions that make "clucking" noises when going over moderate/severe bumps. both made tapping noises from the dash. both had second gear grinding problems. and both had their own share of sensor errors: with the prelude it was related to the ATTS, and with the s2000 it was related to cylinder misfires. after owning a few hondas i've come to the realization that honda's are not necessarily built that much better than other japanese or german cars out there. once you accept that fact, then you learn to accept all the little imperfections you'll eventually encounter in a honda. also, i'm sure most here can relate, but honda service, imo, is one of the bigger nightmares out there. not only is it extremely hard to convince those guys that your car needs warranty work, but once then agree that it does require work, over half the time, they don't know how to fix it!!

as for whether you should wait for the 2.2, i personally would. as of now, the final specs and performance tests have not been conducted, so it may very well turn out that the 2.2 will be a better car than the 2.0. of course it can also be vice versa, but at least you will know and will not regret your 03 purchase when the 04 comes out a few months later and happens to be a better car. if it does turn out that the 04 is not better, then by october i'm sure there will still be some 03's lying around for you to buy...possibly at super discounted prices...