S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Newbie cost questions

Old 08-21-2016 | 03:48 PM
Member (Premium)
10 Year Member

I'm getting 25mpg and wouldn't think about driving my S2000 500+ miles a week. These cars are 10 years old for one thing and while extremely reliable parts will start to dry up. The cars do not handle body damage well and we see totaled cars here almost daily, certainly weekly, from fender benders. Yeah, they're Hondas. Sell the Jeep and BMW and buy a new "daily driver" and save the S2000 for summer and weekend use when you can have some fun. New York is Subaru territory (4 wheel drive) and they are a lot more civilized than a Jeep. I passed a very nice new WRX this afternoon. He'll be driving it when my S2000 is in winter storage/

Color was not even on my priority list (other than possibly "not black"). Roughly 40% of the North American cars are some shade of silver and I'm more than happy with mine. I wanted to be able to tune the car so 2006 or later headed my list followed by 50,000 miles or less. YMMV.

-- Chuck
Old 08-21-2016 | 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I'm getting 25mpg and wouldn't think about driving my S2000 500+ miles a week. These cars are 10 years old for one thing and while extremely reliable parts will start to dry up. The cars do not handle body damage well and we see totaled cars here almost daily, certainly weekly, from fender benders. Yeah, they're Hondas. Sell the Jeep and BMW and buy a new "daily driver" and save the S2000 for summer and weekend use when you can have some fun. New York is Subaru territory (4 wheel drive) and they are a lot more civilized than a Jeep. I passed a very nice new WRX this afternoon. He'll be driving it when my S2000 is in winter storage/

Color was not even on my priority list (other than possibly "not black"). Roughly 40% of the North American cars are some shade of silver and I'm more than happy with mine. I wanted to be able to tune the car so 2006 or later headed my list followed by 50,000 miles or less. YMMV.

-- Chuck
Hi Chuck
25mpg would be amazing for me at this point. I've been thinking about getting rid of my wrangler but don't think I can let go of the m3. I'm debating on buying an s2k as a weekend cruiser but it all depends on the miles. If I buy a low mile car it will sit in the garage. I'm looking at cars with 90 to 110k miles for a daily. Most of the cars I see are either black or silver and I don't want a black car.
Old 08-22-2016 | 03:24 AM
Member (Premium)
10 Year Member

I find a manual gearbox tedious as a daily driver but wonderful on weekends! My 2006 is, consequently, a weekend car with occasional to-work driving in the summer. I avoid bad weather due to the claustrophobic interior and no outward vision with the roof up and because the car is so small it's invisible to other drivers in the rain even with all the lights on. The card needs the roof down to enjoy. Never have figured out who'd want a hard top on this car although I almost bought one.

My wife refused to get an automatic transmission for years until she started working across town where she was in what passes for rush hour traffic in Cleveland. Rowing all the way across town is a PITA.

-- Chuck
Old 08-22-2016 | 12:13 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by B serious
Tops are like $800+ for install. Maybe $500-700 in (aftermarket) parts.

Clutch kits are $600ish from Honda (don't buy aftermarket). About $350 to install around here. But installs can be as high as $800+.

A car that has quality replacement parts likely isn't going to be for sale. Most people that would spend that kind of money on a OEM clutch and good quality top/install may just be doing so for their OWN long term benefit. Be daft to turn around and sell the car after doing all that.

If you're buying a car that someone fixed up enough to sell...using an Exedy clutch or something....then its likely you'll have issues and need work later anyway.

Buy the RIGHT $11K car if that's your budget. Put the RIGHT parts in it as needed. Maybe you can stretch out the existing clutch. Maybe you can patch the top til you have more money.
This. Everything that was a real pain about my car was work the po paid someone to do, that I didn't figure out until after I bought the car. Crap exedy clutch, no lube, they broke some interior parts trying to remove shifter. EZ on top that ba gs against roll hoops with every little bump when the top is up. Crappy universal cat welded onto catback.

I would have been much better off if I could have bought my car needing all these repairs, at a cheaper price to allow for the repairs, then doing the repairs myself. Would have had a better outcome for less outlay.

There is some logic in paying less for a car that you know needs work, than paying more for a car that you hope doesn't need any. But you gotta know what you are getting into...

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Old 08-22-2016 | 01:59 PM
10 Year Member

Why don't you buy something like a Civic Si as a daily?
Old 08-22-2016 | 07:44 PM
Member (Premium)
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Why don't you buy something like a Civic Si as a daily?

While I think that S2000's are absolutely capable of being DD's, and have all the right DD stuff except space (in most environments)...I do have to agree that this is a very good question.

I'm guessing the OP doesn't want to drive something boring. A 06+ Civic Si is fairly boring...and IMO wasn't really all that nice to drive. There are other cars out there that make great daily drivers.

I'm guessing that since OP already has a coupe and a SUV (is a wrangler a SUV?), he's looking for an affordable and reliable roadster...which...kinda makes more sense than a sedan.

A $11k S2000 may be the perfect car for his situation.
Old 08-22-2016 | 08:45 PM

Also, don't be afraid to haggle a bit, most people will be willing to reduce their price by $500-$1000. Good luck on your search.