S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New versus old OEM top

Old 04-26-2008, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New versus old OEM top

From my understanding, Honda had two versions of the soft top. The two versions fold slightly differently from each other.

I believe it's the newer one that doesn't let you open the secret compartment fully when you have the soft top down. Or at least it kinda gets in the way a bit.

Does anyone know if the newer one really have any major advantage (i.e. less prone to wear from the frame itself when top is down)?

Does anyone know which year they rolled out the newer soft top?

Thanks
Old 04-26-2008, 11:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One has glass, the other has a plastic window. They rolled it out in 2002.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:17 PM

shy guy is correct the only two soft tops were the glass and plastic rear window versions. the "problem" that you are experiencing with the soft top not going all the way down is because of the two elastic straps that pull that first crossbar down. over time those wear and don't pull the bar down. i'm experiencing this myself as i just had my top replaced under warranty. for some reason those straps aren't part of the hardware that comes with the replacement. to solve this just goto a honda dealership and have them order you those parts. alternatively you can actually just slightly push that cross bar down at the same time the top comes down, it only takes a slight effort with just one finger to get it to come down. i would take pics and show you but i'm at work with no camera. hope that helps.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by zanoodi,Apr 26 2008, 04:17 PM
shy guy is correct the only two soft tops were the glass and plastic rear window versions. the "problem" that you are experiencing with the soft top not going all the way down is because of the two elastic straps that pull that first crossbar down. over time those wear and don't pull the bar down. i'm experiencing this myself as i just had my top replaced under warranty. for some reason those straps aren't part of the hardware that comes with the replacement. to solve this just goto a honda dealership and have them order you those parts. alternatively you can actually just slightly push that cross bar down at the same time the top comes down, it only takes a slight effort with just one finger to get it to come down. i would take pics and show you but i'm at work with no camera. hope that helps.
Thanks man

Didn't realize that was the elastic strap problem. Cuz most people who had the elastic problem would have trouble putting the top all the way down if you look from behind the car. But then mine looks like it's all the way down, except the cross bar is in the way.

Looks like after a small push, the soft top's cross beam is okay now even if I open and close it a few times.