S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New or Used

Old 10-18-2007, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New or Used

I would like to know your views on the merits of buying new Vs buying used.
Personally I tend to buy used low mileage vehicles. I don't see the value of buying a new car.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:25 PM
Banned
Banned

I bought used once and it all mess up after a month or so and it been going for like 2 yrs...

now I learned the lesson.. Buy new for a peace of mind so you don't have to worry what other owner did before.

Unless there is some awesome deal for a use and the car is like top shape or something... maybe.. but I LIKE IT NEW!!!
Old 10-18-2007, 10:26 PM

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

I change cars often and tend to not drive too much (7-9k miles a year) so it doesn't make sense for me to get a new car. I can't take the depreciation hit I guess if I were to walk off the lot with a new car.

Maybe I'll get something new when I actually make a lot more money.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:49 PM

I learn the lesson from buying a used DC2, so my S is brand new when i bought it, always remember this, "Cheap stuff is never good, good stuff is never cheap" just my opinion. also for the peace of mind i would get new > used. even at low mileage, you don't know how the person break in the car or driving habits.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

esp with japanese cars and cars under warranty, buy used. if it's not a sports car and you dont plan to sell it, buy salvaged. cars are a huge waste of money as an asset and you should protect yourself from depreciation as much as possible.

the new car small is nice and toxic, though
Old 10-18-2007, 11:49 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by iKMTi,Oct 19 2007, 02:25 AM
now I learned the lesson.. Buy new for a peace of mind so you don't have to worry what other owner did before.

Get the newest 1 you can.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:49 AM

All good points! I guess for my needs used is the best choice. I tend to keep cars for a few years and then move on to something different.
I have multiple cars, can never seem to find one that serves all my needs. Buying used allows me to have several cars at once.

Questions for people who are not comfortable buying used. How would you rate your level of mechanical ability? Do you do your own Maintenance?
Old 10-19-2007, 08:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Buying used is really the best option imo considering the nature of the significant depreciation posed on new cars. You have to shop for a long time, test drive them, look at the records like checking on carfax but I believe it's worth it. Of course there are always rare cases where the car ends up breaking down causing PITA, but it's unlikely if you have spent enough time shopping. I believe you can always find a mint condition used car.

If you have money, definitely then new car. No worries, comes with warranty, walk out with peace of mind and there's this bonus of new car smell. But keep in mind that when you drive out of the dealer lot, the value of the car has already gone down a few thousand dollars.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are buying a used one, it's all depended on your luck. I bought a used one. It seemed like the previous owner took good care of my baby.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:04 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

i have done both..best bet is a great car that has a few years and miles on it, with all the options.

a new car has a warranty, but if it is junk then the warranty is a no cost trip to the dealer too often, better to dump a lemon no matter how you bought it...i have had bad used cars and bad new cars. the bad used ones are a better bet as they cost less and you loose less when you sell them...but a lemon is a lemon, new or used.

Quick Reply: New or Used