S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New TSB on updated clutch!

Old 01-02-2001, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys, a little background first.
I had my car in for the 1-2 grind fix, and at the same time they did the clutch(it was noisy), the pressure plate, the bearing, and the flywheel. They tried to get me to pay for it, but to make a long story short, they covered all costs.

Anyway, I picked up my car last week and after some driving over the weekend, I noticed that there was a grinding/rattling noise coming from the trany. Usually upon deceleration, taking my foot off the gas pedal, allowing the gear to slow the car down.

I took the car in today, and they told me that there is a new service bulletin out on the replacement clutch disks. The service manager told me that there has been a problem with some of the upgraded clutches out there, and that instead of fixing the problem, they caused even more noise.

They are fixing it all for free, again, but its a hassle.

Anyone else hear of this, or was it crap.
He actually showed me the service bulletin though. Didn't get the number. Sorry.

I would imagine this could affect a lot of people out there, since so many of us have had this upgrade done.
Old 01-02-2001, 05:43 PM

Do you have the TSB #? I can't find it on dot.gov

Old 01-02-2001, 05:44 PM

No.
I was too concerned with duplicating the noise, and having them actually hear it.

I will call them tomorrow and get the number.
Old 01-02-2001, 08:09 PM

I had my clutch replaced under warranty and the noise is gone. This car is so much more pleasant to drive now (mostly top up in the NW). I was beginning to actually HATE the car because of the noise...
Old 01-02-2001, 08:30 PM

S2K_CLS - The initial fix I had was for the noisy clutch. But, the new, updated clutch disk is the one that is now in question. According to the bulletin, they have had problems with the new disks.

Not all, like with the 1-2 grind, but some of the replacements are said to be more noisy than the ones they replace.

With the original clutch, I had a little noise. But, since the tranny was going to be out for the 1-2 grind fix, they replaced the clutch in the process. Since then, the noise has gone from nothing to an unbelievably loud grind upon deceleration in a matter of days.
Old 01-02-2001, 08:33 PM

Thanks for the heads-up, Pantydrpr. Had my transmission and clutch disk done a few weeks ago. Something to look forward to.

I did notice that the clutch seems to engage even more positively than before. Did you have the same good outcome, irrespective of the noise?

Good luck.

2x6
Old 01-02-2001, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by pnty drpr:
With the original clutch, I had a little noise. But, since the tranny was going to be out for the 1-2 grind fix, they replaced the clutch in the process. Since then, the noise has gone from nothing to an unbelievably loud grind upon deceleration in a matter of days.
Bummer to hear that. Starting to wonder about Honda and their S2K clutches.
Old 01-02-2001, 08:41 PM

2x6spds - definitely. The clutch felt completely different. When I pulled away from the dealer, it felt like a different car. It engaged totally different.
For the first two days, it was great. I took it easy on it, trying to break it in properly, but even the little bit of driving I did, it felt much better.
I was very happy with the feel. The car seemed to take of with more ease.
But then came the noise.

We will see how it all turns out.
You would think that they spend so much time perfecting and fine tuning the engine, they could have finished it off and made a solid tranny.

I have heard that the weaklink of the S2K is the tranny components, going with more power like the supercharger.
Old 01-03-2001, 03:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info. I'll be doing the trans TSB this Spring and will ask for the clutch replacement at the same time. Your dealer wouldn't have happened to be in Coral Springs, eh? Hope to see you down the road.
Old 01-03-2001, 04:01 AM

If someone knows, please post the TSB # for the clutch. I had mine replace under warranty but makes a lot of noise under deceleration. On the other hand the grip is better.

Quick Reply: New TSB on updated clutch!