S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

new top at 11k....(sigh)

Old 07-11-2008, 07:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

those above pics are the exact same place most tops rip. I had mine replaced at just under 20k. The new one seems looser but show no signs of wear.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dres2k,Jul 11 2008, 11:33 PM
nooo, the secret compartment does close. It's just when I open it, it doesn't click into place and stay up...after looking at it today, it's just that the top is not that pliable yet since it's new, so the vinyl pops out a little towards the back of the top of the compartment. When I gave it a little push, it stayed up so it's not a big deal to me cuz it'll be fine eventually...
My car was brand new and I took delivery of it pretty much right off the truck. I opened the secret compartment that same day and didn't have a problem with a new top getting in its way.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It might be because the new top was in a box when they ordered it for me and folded up in a different way than how it folds when it closes on the car? just my guess, i'm not super positive either but i'm not too bothered by it since I only open the compartment a few times a week, and it seems like it'll fix itself eventually.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Post a picture of the top, maybe a side view and a 3/4 view from the back, and then a shot of the inside looking towards the passenger headrest. We should be able to tell if there are any problems. It definitely should not be interfering with the compartment -- I have 1-2 fingers of room between my compartment door and the top after the door is locked open.

I have seen a couple cases here where replacement tops weren't put on exactly right. It would be good to address this sooner than later. Usually it's a simple matter of bars and/or straps needing to be tweaked into the right position.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:01 PM

I'll try to get some pictures this weekend of the top...

The Fujita CAI is in as well. I installed it in about 1 1/2 , 2 hours at the shop I work at...thing sounds mean as hell, but a little louder than I expected lol

I pulled hard in first and second and passed two guys working on a car on the side of the street and I heard um say "holy shiit" hahahaha
Old 07-12-2008, 01:35 PM

yuh my ap2 got the same rip

@ around 12thousand miles

so i just went and bought a c.f top lol
Old 07-12-2008, 01:50 PM

how much r those cf tops...i seen a pic of it on moonrock silver...looked amazing. and is it seibon or mugen?
Old 07-13-2008, 09:22 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Had my top replaced at the end of the warranty period in 2005, the dealership was very nice, they let me drop it off at a very good and reputable upholstery shop that had done several S2000 top replacements in the past. This is key, if your car is the first S2000 they've worked on they have about a 95% chance of screwing up the job. Most Honda dealerships do not have the expertise to do the job properly, so I didn't mind driving my car to the place doing the actual repair. Here are some tips for anyone having this done:

1) As mentioned before, there are rivets that get drilled out, the shop needs to clean out the debris so there are no new rattles.

2) They need to install new wider and stronger elastic straps while they are doing the job, this will help the top last longer by insuring the bar folds properly, the OEM straps are too thin and wear out quickly, particularly if you park your car outside in the heat.

3) Have the shop look for any rough or sharp edges on the bars while they have the old top off. I added a couple adhesive pads in key places that push on the top, they will also help the top last longer.

4) The new top should be taught, when I first put the top up I needed to pull a bit to latch it. This is normal, if the top closes loosely the shop has done a poor job. Also, check for any wind noise on the highway when the top is up. If it's aligned correctly you should hear very little wind noise.

5) Check your roll hoops, if the shop removed the plastic covers and not the entire roll hoop assembly, they screwed up. The plastic covers cannot be removed without breaking them off, if the shop did it wrong they may have tried to glue the plastic back together. Check the seams, if they did it wrong demand the roll hoop assemblies be replaced.

For the guy that was told they needed to remove the glass back window from the old top and install it on the new one that is total BS, the OEM Honda top includes the glass back window (2002 and up) so either the dealership is lying or they did not install an OEM replacement.

So far it's been 3+ years since my top was replaced and it looks exactly the same as the day I picked it up from the upholstery shop. Hope your repair goes well.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:29 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by R3DS2K,Jul 9 2008, 04:24 PM
huh .. i work for a toyota dealership and toyota warranty pays for loaners if u have warranty work done.. its just limited to how much they will pay per day and how many days.

my buddy use to be a honda service adviser who told me the same thing with honda
Steve here... Newbee to the forum... B4 I got my S2k i bought a new 05 Tundra...
Squeaks rattles and an oil leak.... I never got a free rental car, while it in for service at the dealer!!!
I traded it in on my s2k... The Tundra had 2000 miles on it

Steven

Ps not to ruin the thread...Can i get a pic of the trouble spot on the top
Thank you
Old 07-13-2008, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by S2k Dude,Jul 13 2008, 01:22 PM
2) They need to install new wider and stronger elastic straps while they are doing the job, this will help the top last longer by insuring the bar folds properly, the OEM straps are too thin and wear out quickly, particularly if you park your car outside in the heat.
When Nalley did mine they didn't replace those elastic straps. I don't know if its worth it to take it back or just get the modifry straps. What dealership did you take it to? The new top isn't as loose and the elastic is really no longer strong enough to pull the middle bar back.

Quick Reply: new top at 11k....(sigh)