S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

new top at 11k....(sigh)

Old 07-09-2008, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dres2k,Jul 8 2008, 10:00 PM
from pictures, it looks like I need to sand the joint below the bar that actually touches the top when it's up right?
Someone had a pic of it circled in red and stated that it rubs most when the top is down, but should I sand both the bar that's obviously touching the top and also the other when I get the car back?
The damage is done when the top is down. With the top down you can reach down behind the top and feel the round hinge edge digging into the top. The roof bar that touches the wear spot when the top is up has nothing to do with making the wear spot. It is smooth on the back side. I filed the hinge edge down and put a patch on my wear spot just so I hopefully don't have to get a replacement top later.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:41 PM

i had same problem
Old 07-09-2008, 07:08 PM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

i wish i could get mine done for free, i have 72k on mine and it just ripped, i should take it into burns tomorrow and show them while your car is there and see what they say. this is bs and i dont feel like having to replace it on my own.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:21 PM

When I get the car back, I'm definitely gonna go to town on that burr or whatever it is then put sum felt or sumthing over it...

Also gonna install the Fujita Champ Bronze CAI first thing and may spring for PSS9's soon! tehehehe

unrelated* -Before I brought the car there, I did a thorough wash and wax on the car and decided to hand wax (bare hands/no pad) the car using Lusso Oro.. Little did I know, when I was applying the wax and thinking I wasn't getting enough on the paint, I was actually putting a shit ton on... I also let it dry too long so it took me about 6 hours and a bunch of breaks to get that cake off! Looked good as hell when I was done, but never again! LOL
Old 07-09-2008, 07:27 PM

2poor2mod- My cars at an upholstery shop, and not at the dealership, but if you want, when I go to pick it up, I could meet you there and help you out (more power in numbers!)

I think they replaced it no q's asked for me cuz I bought it there and cuz of those CSI surveys that there bonus's or whatever depend greatly on..
but they seem pretty nice and it's one of the biggest, if not the biggest honda dealer around there i believe so just let me know if you wanna do what I mentioned.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:58 AM

my top ripped 2 weeks after i bought the car, their must have been less than 1000 miles on it. but mine ripped on the drivers side near the latch. the dealer was reluctant to replace it until i caused a scene in the service department.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by MannyS2K,Jul 10 2008, 07:58 AM
my top ripped 2 weeks after i bought the car, their must have been less than 1000 miles on it. but mine ripped on the drivers side near the latch. the dealer was reluctant to replace it until i caused a scene in the service department.
People have reported that leaving the latch down after disconnecting it from the windshield can cause damage when the top is put down.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by zoomkat,Jul 10 2008, 08:13 AM
People have reported that leaving the latch down after disconnecting it from the windshield can cause damage when the top is put down.
thats exactly what happened. the salesman told me to leave them down. i had a gut feeling he was wrong. i put the top down for the first time and heard a rip. a week later i picked up my car with a new top along with the owners manual that they owed me and there it was in the manual, the reason why my top ripped. i hate car salesmen.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by zoomkat,Jul 10 2008, 08:13 AM
I'm confused with this.. can someone clarify?
Old 07-10-2008, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by WayneTeK,Jul 10 2008, 10:48 AM
I'm confused with this.. can someone clarify?
It's in the owner's manual. The latches must be closed before you put the top down.

Quick Reply: new top at 11k....(sigh)