S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

new top at 11k....(sigh)

Old 07-09-2008, 02:47 PM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Blacknot,Jul 9 2008, 11:56 AM
They all rip. I patched mine. I'm not even going to replace it because it will rip again and then i'll be pissed
No, they don't all rip (well they will eventually, it's a soft top it wasn't meant to last the life of the car) but many last a good long time. Me, lucky so far. Almost 47K on a MY04 and no signs of trouble yet. [crosses fingers]
Old 07-09-2008, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Vinsfeld,Jul 9 2008, 11:19 AM
Wait so suppose you brought your car to the shop by yourself, youd have to sleep there overnight since they cant give you a loaner? that seems rediculous
Nope. Rent a car, have someone drop you off, take a taxi, take a bus, etc. Most dealerships if they don't have free loaners can rent you a car, get you a cheap local rental, will drop you off or pick you up, or pick up the car from you. Sorry, but Honda is obligated to fix your car if it breaks during the warranty period, not provide you with transportation.

BTW, to the OP. Hopefully they will remember to blow the old rivets out of the tubing when they drill them out. Otherwise they rattle in there.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can only cross my fingers and hope it comes out as good/better than before...I don't like the idea of my car being driven to an upholstery shop by god knows who, then left there a couple days, and driven back by whoever...I don't let anyone else drive the car, not even good friends so it irks me that mad people have to get up in my shizz...im selfish like that lol
Old 07-09-2008, 03:13 PM

but it definitely would have been nice if they coulda hooked up a loaner or something...my buddy brought his sentra se-r in twice to the dealership in the last month or so and both times he got a loaner...I drove out 40 miles one way and 40 back to get this stupid defect dealt with and they can't hook it up. I'm stuck driving my sisters celica gt with a sport body kit and evo lookin wing for the week and it blows hard.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:25 PM

You must live in the most boondock part of Jersey. No Honda dealer closer than 40 miles? Wow! Yeah, I know, not all of New Jersey is urban or suburban. No one out here thinks of it as having rural areas.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:30 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Join the club. My top was replaced @ 10k miles. Had it in the exact spot as you described. Make sure they sand down the top of that metal arm. It most likely has a burr, which caused the tear.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems to be a very common problem.

I got Honda to replace mine at about 58k, unfortunately with just another plastic window top, but atleast they replaced it.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:57 PM

Sand it down and put a strip of black duct tape over the area. If the duct tape wears, just replace it. Instant fix and you never have to worry about it again. I put my top up and down every time I drive or stop and have yet to notice any wear on the duct tape after this. It's been 9 months now.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt,Jul 9 2008, 02:44 PM
No it doesn't. That is strictly a dealership perk on a Honda.
huh .. i work for a toyota dealership and toyota warranty pays for loaners if u have warranty work done.. its just limited to how much they will pay per day and how many days.

my buddy use to be a honda service adviser who told me the same thing with honda
Old 07-09-2008, 06:08 PM

I've got Princeton Honda and Willis Honda within 15 miles of me, but neither had the car I was looking for at the time, and it was kinda outta the blue that I found the color/year at Burns so that's why I went out there... Where I live is definitely suburbs tho, but if I wanted to, could easily drive out to rural areas around here.

On another note- Which arm do you guys sand down? I asked before but still not sure... The one that looks like the obvious suspect for the chafing, or that one below it when the top closes, or both?

Quick Reply: new top at 11k....(sigh)