S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New steering wheel S badges: photos and installation instructions

Old 07-28-2002, 04:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New steering wheel S badges: photos and installation instructions

The badges are in and will be shipping this week.

First, here are a few photos of the new badges installed. Note how they fit the entire concave space in the center of the wheel.

Each order includes the S badge itself, and a round rubber washer, which glues into the indented area around the stock badge and helps make the S badge lie flat when it
Old 07-28-2002, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick,

These are sharp! Recently placed an order for several things - console cover, front/rear badges and this. Can't wait to get them.

One question (for you or anyone else with more complete knowledge than I of the ability of airbags to blow through something like plastic on Pliobond): I didn't realize the badges sit in the well when I ordered it; did you look into whether these things interfere with the airbag? Don't worry, I realize the risk in mine in putting this on, but I just wanted to get your thoughts.

Also, I have tons of different glues (was thinking of using some leftover motorcyle grip glue), but if you think Pliobond is the ticket here, I might as well pick up a bottle. This is available at your typical hardware store?
Old 07-28-2002, 06:48 PM

to each their own... i'm partially in shock that someone would put something like that over the beautiful brushed aluminum emblem..
Old 07-28-2002, 07:06 PM

i'm partially in shock that someone would put something like that over the beautiful brushed aluminum emblem
That's a valid point, Secret. I think Rick has done a tremendous job overall - especially since most of what he has addressed with his tinkering is what sucks about the S: carpeting on the console, crappy raised emblems that just get in the way of a good wash and wax etc. I also think these look good, but I'm somewhat on the fence on putting them on.

To each his own, yes, but you also have a duty as an S owner to make sure you give your view when you think somewhat is about to mar a work of art, whether it's tinkering too much with that perfect front end, or something as mundane as this. Anyway, thanks for the input.

What do others think?
Old 07-28-2002, 07:11 PM
Banned

I think the S looks awesome and can't wait to get mine in!!
Old 07-28-2002, 07:11 PM

it's not to say that Rick's emblem isn't beautifully designed and manufactured. i have a great appreciation for those who are taking time to put more aesthetic and performance options on the table for S owners. but i love the emblem that's there already as well. whatever choice you make is cool; the only reason i said i was in shock was that it is somewhat of a permanant install. if someone wanted to go back to stock, it doesn't seem like an option without a lot of cleaning/scraping.

in any case, great work!
Old 07-29-2002, 10:37 AM
acx

The badge looks beautiful, another Rick's masterpiece.

Now don't take this wrong, I'm a big fan of this badge, but I'm wondering, if the airbag deploys would a person be eating that washer?

Otherwise I think the concept and execution are perfect.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:05 AM

the airbag issue was one discussed long before many of you who are bringing it up again were on the board. it cam up becuase the existing wheel badges were origianlly sold as first generation steering wheel badges, but because of his concerns about the airbag, rick stopped selling those to develop a safer badge and method of installation (thus the "permenant installation")

Anyways, I am pretty certain that Rick has looked into this issue, but i do hope he will be able to alieve your concerns. I have S badges all around and am now considering this new badge as it would make my set complete!
Old 07-29-2002, 12:01 PM

Looks great Rick.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:15 PM

I think it would be really cool with a metal-type steering wheel insert....................Rick, what are the chances of making this little gem a reality?

Quick Reply: New steering wheel S badges: photos and installation instructions