S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New S2k owner, what mod is best

Old 01-17-2005, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New S2k owner, what mod is best

Hello All;

Ok First off this is my first post to this forum, so please don't beat me up to bad. I just traded in my 03 Mustang, for this nice 2000 S2k. Low miles, no dents beautiful car, time to tweak! 24k original miles!

With all my cars, I like to go fast, and I like to make em sound real good. In Respect that I have to maintain California emitions . My Miata is CSP prepared, and very fast for its age. And to be honest the S2k is new technology for me. I have never worked on a V-tech motor. First thing I noticed at the dealership, is that stuffy airbox. Just does not look adequate for the engine. Also I know that all stock exhausts hamper performance greatly. So here is my question!

I got $1,000 bucks left over from the deal, and I want my first purchase to be wise. I have researched the K&N CAI, claiming impressive H.P. gains. The other is exhaust. I have looked at Invidia, HKS, Borla, Vielside, just about every other brand. I want to keep dual exhaust, and the Invidia is the right price. But I have read posts about it being obnoxiously loud. The Borla, and the HKS are also at the right price, but can't seem to find any kind of H.P. gains or sound quality, at idle and at speed.

Your input is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance. I promise that future posts will not be this long
Old 01-17-2005, 09:17 PM

for increase in acceleration, I recommend gears from Ricks.

ive got intake and exhaust, and will soon be getting the 4.77's
however I have rode in a car w/ the 4.57's and the increase it pretty impressive. I would say best bang for the buck would be gears (unless of course you do alot of highway driving, then it could be detrimental to your wallet)
Old 01-17-2005, 10:14 PM

If you get gears you may be tempted to buy other parts while you're at it (flywheel, diff, clutch, direct clutch line) I would say injen cai.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:58 PM

i dunno about being tempted to buy other parts such as the ones you mentioned, to me i see that as a very high and totally unneccessary cost (at least if it is a relativly new car)

but I have heard good things about the injen intake. however, my opinion for intake or exhaust is for the K&N (very impressive gains) or the AEM v1 or v2 (either are great just depends on how much you wanna spend)

exhaust I prefer single such as the spoon, or amuse peice. if you have tons of money go for the T1R 70mm w/ test pipe when it comes out (also very impressive gains)
Old 01-18-2005, 06:58 AM

Look at Comptech as well. I just installed their exhaust on my 2004 and it sounds great. Not too loud at all.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:09 AM

Save the money and get a supercharger if you're into speed. Or wait for Elda Engineering's CARB legal turbo kit. You are going to want to keep spending for little things and it will soon add up close to the price of a good used SC.

And the gains from the intake, exhaust, and whatever else still won't be too impressive.

That is of course if your focus is straight line speed.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:48 AM

Exhaust Comparisons
Old 01-18-2005, 09:05 AM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Any add ons you make to intake and exhaust wont give big if any gains on the S2k. Believe it or not, it's pretty well tweaked from the factory. All add on (other than changing internals and a Supercharger) give only a few extra horses. The exhausts that give the most are single outlet and are super loud. Like Chitah said, if you really want to see gains, save up for a S/C.

However, I know you want to do something. Get an intake first. I'd recommend an AEM V2 or Injen. Very nice setups. An intake really changes the sound of your car. You can do an experiment by removing the cover off your stock intake and revving the engine. The AEM and Injen sound similar to that, but with more growl. Also, Invidia is a great deal for the exhaust and is probably a club favorite. They are a bit loud, but that's my opinion. See if someone in your area has one (chances are good that someone does). Other than that, don't forget that you can always go with something custom that doesn't have to be a cat back. The exhaust on an S is really nice and if you just replace the mufflers with something high performance like Borla or Magnaflow at a custom muffler shop, you can get a nice look with even less spent.

BTW, to give you an idea of how large the market is for the S2000, click on this link. I've been collecting websites of places that have deals and offer stuff for the S.
http://www.s2katlanta.com/%7Es2katl/forum/...hread.php?t=719
Old 01-18-2005, 09:07 AM

I want twisty speed, no straightline. My Mustang had 355 dynoed rwhp, and it only went straight. I want to perform on the track, and stay SP legal. If I put a super, or turbo charger on the car I will be in the modified class(Auto X). Up against tricked out Vettes, RX7's and god knows what.

I did some research last night, and am looking for some truth . K&N claims 9.5 hp. with there cold air intake system. Comptech claims 5 hp gain with the ice box. Are K&N's claims true? Does any one have either one of these units on there car.

And Thanks for the link to the exhaust comparsion page.

Thanks again
Old 01-18-2005, 09:27 AM

[QUOTE=Qckslvr,Jan 18 2005, 01:07 PM]I want twisty speed, no straightline. My Mustang had 355 dynoed rwhp, and it only went straight. I want to perform on the track, and stay SP legal. If I put a super, or turbo charger on the car I will be in the modified class(Auto X). Up against tricked out Vettes, RX7's and god knows what.

I did some research last night, and am looking for some truth

Quick Reply: New S2k owner, what mod is best