S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

new S2000

Old 08-13-2002, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new S2000

Howdy All..
Well after a few days of interesting conversation with my wife, I gave into her wishes and bought the car she wanted.. a S2000, instead of the 2003 Cobra I had on order..
It's a 2002 Grand Prix white with 11 miles that we got from Klein Honda in Everett Washington

I told my wife that I'd look at one, and tell her what I thought of it. Well Klein Honda didn't have any in when I went to look. The salesman I was talking to said that they were expecting a white one in any day, when the automobile transporter rolls up with 3 larger vehicles on the top deck(not sure what they were) and something that was white and small on the lower deck. Sure enough it was the Grand Prix white one they were waiting for.. Well we watched it roll off the transporter and into the covered service area. I hopped into it, (even with all the plastic etc all over it) just to see what it was like. Someone opened the passenger door a minute later and slapped the 2nd sticker on it, marking it up to 39K.. OUTCH..

Well I told the salesman that another dealer had a used one on their lot, that I was going to go look at, and see if I couldn't get a test drive from it.

I got to the other lot, and they had a 2000 S2000 (black with red interior) with 12K miles.. I asked to take it for a testdrive, and the salesman there said why don't you drive it home and see what your wife thinks of it.. Well drove home, she wasn't there, but still got a good 30 miles out of it, mainly freeway but that's ok.. Took it to about 110 mph and once you got over about 6500 rpm it seemed to pick up the pace quite nicely..

I drove it back, and for this used model they wanted 30 grand.. nah.. not today..

I told my wife what I though about it, the lack of low end torque, the loose shifter(I think it was something wrong with this one) and the incredibly poor stereo.. the things I did like were the power once you were in the high rpm range, and the tight handling it had.

I told her that if she could find a new one that was close to the 03 Cobra coupe that I had in price I'd get it.. even though I wanted the Cobra in the worst way, the sales people at Klein Honda were able to come within 150 dollars of the Cobra MSRP(34,750), and my word is my word.. We bought the S2000..

I'll let you know what more I think of it when it's broke in, and I'm able to take it canyon carving..
Old 08-13-2002, 10:27 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Great choice. You will love it.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from a 92 Taurus SHO, to a 97 SVT Cobra, then a 98 Corvette(auto) to a 01 Explorer 4x4(still have it) and now the S2000.. I traded a 95 Geo Tracker in on the S2000, and yeah I think that I will love it, once I get used to the difference in the type of power I'm used to..

The Explorer is the winter/off road vehicle.. and it does both quite nicely..