S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New S200 sales continue To decline

Old 06-09-2005, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by apex2k,Jun 9 2005, 01:19 PM
cthree, very well put. It is unfortunate Honda does not give this car the attention it deserves, in my opinion, it borders on an insult. All the same, every day I see it in my garage and I smile. Even if they don't know how to treat it, at least they built it.

BTW I felt inspired to renew my membership so make it 2001 paying members

...my S2K!!!
Old 06-09-2005, 11:35 AM

This car was not meant to be sold in volume, why? I have no clue, only Honda knows for sure. The biggest reason why is that it never came out in an automatic option. What other production roadsters that are sold in the U.S. doesn't have an auto option? I can't think of one at the moment.

I had so many ppl come up to me and ask about the car and how hot it looks. Once I told them it only comes in stick they are like " OH!!?? I don't know how to drive stick. " I just stood there and think, you don't deserve to drive this then.

I believe Honda made the S2000 for the select few that will understand what this
roadster and Honda is all about. S2000 was made for the driver not the passenger.

just my .02
Old 06-09-2005, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Devious.,Jun 9 2005, 12:11 PM
Am I right to assume that when/if the S2000 gets discontinued our cars will hold better resale value, or even gain value like what happened with the supra's?

To me the math is simple. However, I could be wrong. I'm new to Honda's.

enthusiasts want the car, honda stops making it, few years go by and number of good condition S2k's decrease driving up the value an enthusiast would pay.

keep the flames in your fireplace if I'm wrong.
Just remember the Supra was the last Japanese muscle car to get killed after the 300Z and RX7... There weren't really any new options until the S2000 came out. Even the Camaro and Firebird were axed due to bad sales.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:53 AM

One big factor in the formula that I don't think has been mentioned yet is complacency. When the S2000 first appeared it received seemingly endless amounts of praise and fame within the automotive circles. The pump had been primed so-to-speak and the cars essentially sold themselves without the need for heavy marketing.

Five years later, and the car is still highly regarded within the industry however the market has changed dramatically as others have pointed out. Aside from the slight redress with the '04 model (which folks seem to love or hate) Honda has done nothing to really hype the model (especially marketing-wise). It seems to me that Honda is merely riding the wave until it breaks on shore at which point the car will either be replaced or dramatically changed.

If this is the case then I can better understand the perceived lack of interest on Honda's part. If the S2000 is intended to be a permanent model of the family then Honda better get up off its laurels and motivate. With all of the competition (both current and up and coming) the car's reputation is fading quicker than Paris Hilton's panties after a bottle of Crystal, and soon will not be nearly enough to keep the line afloat.

Craig
Old 06-09-2005, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by jasonw,Jun 9 2005, 11:37 AM
Just remember the Supra was the last Japanese muscle car to get killed after the 300Z and RX7... There weren't really any new options until the S2000 came out. Even the Camaro and Firebird were axed due to bad sales.
right... still though. So... Are you saying that the S2000 is comparable to the market of those two?
Old 06-09-2005, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Devious.,Jun 9 2005, 12:56 PM
right... still though. So... Are you saying that the S2000 is comparable to the market of those two?
300Z, RX7, & Supra seem like the same market to me. Although the Supra and 300Z ended up costing $40K before being axed I believe...which was probably a big contribution to their demise. If I remember correctly, the Supra started out as a beefy celica and ended up costing more than a vette! Totally priced itself out of its' original market.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:07 PM

right. To me it seems that honda is taking the same path with the S. Maybe not raising the price, but still. It's in the same import tuner market as are the others. Similar price range new. Anyhow, I was just curious. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess Honda just wants to sell cars and doesn't want to be too out there. You know, there is always the possiblity of having backlashes against Japanese car companies if they are doing too well(financially) and too visible. The decline of GM and Ford doesn't help neither.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:34 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I just hope Honda doesn't get complacent with the S2K like they did to the NSX.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I don't agree with where this car is headed, I do have to make a point:

Honda's original sales goal was 5,000 units per year in the US. It regularily see's sales of twice that amount.

I don't think Honda is too concerned.

Quick Reply: New S200 sales continue To decline