S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New S200 sales continue To decline

Old 06-08-2005, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People often put off purchasing a vehicle if one they want is about to be released
Old 06-08-2005, 11:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Caffeinated21,Jun 8 2005, 11:08 AM
People often put off purchasing a vehicle if one they want is about to be released
Old 06-08-2005, 11:15 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

cthree, I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head... except for one detail - I think American Honda is specifically the problem, not Honda Motor Co. in Japan. Who's president is Hiroyuki Yoshino by the way. Or, he was when the S2000 was introduced. Based on the below speech, they certainly have the right idea I think. But you're right, American Honda is rather clueless when it comes to a segment like us.

http://www.purehonda.com/cool/news/3.html
Old 06-08-2005, 11:16 AM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Caffeinated21,Jun 8 2005, 11:08 AM
Maybe for a several months, but not for several years. So in this case that arguement is . Futhermore, the "average joe" consumer has no idea what new cars are even coming until the manufacturer starts advertising them (which doesn't happen until a few month before their release).

Besides I doubt many people are putting off buying a TL because a new Civic is coming out this fall. That's about the same as saying someone would put off buying a S2000 because the Saturn Sky is coming out next year.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:22 AM
STL

I too agree that the problem lies more with American Honda (who in their "brilliant wisdom" thought the S2000 needed the "improved" 2.2l engine when the rest of the world said let's keep the award-winning 2.0l and change the gearing) rather than Honda Motor Co. in Japan.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:37 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

And here's a chart of S2000 sales in the US since introduction. Notice that in the past two months they sold MORE than in the same months in 2000.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:55 AM

I don't own a S yet, but I always thought the S2000 was put in production to showcase Honda's racing heritage and technology. If someone can find out if Honda actually made any money on the S, please provide the figures. But I would think the S2000 probably made little money for Honda, if anything at all. The S2000's technology will eventually trickled down to other vehicles in the Honda fleet, so it is sort of an experimental platform. Same can be said for the NSX, but the NSX is build to be an exotic, a flagship vehicle instead of something afforable for many everyday consumer.

Since the S2000 is not made to please your average Joe, it is something that has to carve out it's own niche. This the S2000 has done brilliantly, as demonstrated by, well, the s2ki community. But what happens when everyone who wants a S already has one parked in the garage? Sales would go down, no?

Beyond just the age of the model and the inevitable end of a production cycle, I also blame the average North American consumer for the decline in sales. First of all, a lot of people are fat in this country, and many of them morbidly obese (especially in the NC, hard to find someone over 30 who is still fit here). How can these fat people fit in the S2000? The answer is that they don't, and they go look for cars that are fast, but yet large enough to house them - notice the return of large muscle cars like the Dodge Magnum/Charger?

Another problem with Americans is just the need to super-size in general. People just want to drive very large cars. Beyond the SUV's and large trucks roaming the streets, even the sports cars are getting larger to a degree. There is even a rumor that the RX-8 would not have been approved for production if not for the genius of a certain engineer to add suicide rear doors and rear seats, which the execs decided would allow the car to sale in profitable numbers.

As for the truly rich folks who can own multiple cars, well, the rich is only getting richer and getting richer faster - I would bet the Boxster's and Elise's are still doing fine in sales (someone check on this too), at least better than the S2000.

But what does it all mean? I think it is awesome for this crowd. If Honda cuts or ends production, that just makes the S2000 even more rare - which helps the cars retain value and look even more kick-ass on the road. Don't blame Honda for not lifting a finger to reverse the trend - there is little room to improve on the S2000, other than extensive mods like factory supercharge/turbocharge or a brand new motor alltogether. The S2000 had/has a great run, I'd be happy to see Honda let it go out in quiet glory rather than kicking + screaming to remain on the market for a few more years.

(Someone sell me a S... please?)
Old 06-08-2005, 12:21 PM
STL

[QUOTE=Elistan,Jun 8 2005, 11:37 AM] And here's a chart of S2000 sales in the US since introduction.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think generalizing about the heath and welfare of the population is accurate. The other statement made is that once that market is saturated nobody will have a need for one because all the potential buyers already have one. Then you go on to say "sell me one please...". You are a testament against your own argument. People buy and sell cars all the time.

People age and they change life circumstances as they do. People get out of college, get a good job and then treat themselves with a toy they've always dreamed of. They buy it and then 4 or 5 years down the road they have kids and trade in their sports cars for SUVs. Then the kids grow up and they dream once again of recapturing their youth so go out and buy another sports car again. This is how industry works. Trends and market conditions change over time as do peoples attitudes. They don't stop buying small cars because they are to fat to fit in them anymore.

For the record, I fit fine.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by cthree,Jun 8 2005, 01:40 PM
They don't stop buying small cars because they are to fat to fit in them anymore.
Why not? I've seen that both parents put on weight after having kids... And I didn't realize how tight a fit the S2000 is for people over 6' or how many people I know that are > 6' until after I got the car.

Americans are fat!

Quick Reply: New S200 sales continue To decline