S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New S200 sales continue To decline

Old 06-08-2005, 09:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cut your losses Honda! DIscontinue!
Old 06-08-2005, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by trendy26,Jun 8 2005, 11:57 AM
Cut your losses Honda! DIscontinue!
Yes, by all means please do!! So I don't have to see anymore "What changes are coming for the 2006?" threads!! But then again, I bet that wouldn't stop them.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The reason for declining sales is that Honda is using the Adam Smith method of marketing. Demand could easily outstrip supply again with just the smallest amount of effort on Honda's part, effort they don't seem all that interested in making. The only ad I've seen for the S2000 in the past 2 years is in a Ridgeline commercial!

They don't race it. The RX-8 and the 350Z are both racing in Grand Am Cup. They don't advertise it, anywhere. They don't capitalize on the ownership experience (aka s2ki) like say BMW does with BMWCCA. They don't do shit in fact. Those sales are driven entirely by word of mouth (aka s2ki) and nothing more. I'm surprised they sold that many.

Bottom line is that Honda's marketing department is driven by volume and that volume comes from the Civic, Accord and Acura sedans. It's all about short term thinking and about meeting this months quotas. There is no reward for creative thinking and emphasis on long term goals.

What Honda has going for them (or against as may be the case long-term) is a rock-solid engineering team and excellent manufacturing and quality control. The entire organization rests on these assets. As for the rest of the company, dead weight.

Honda is run by accountants and MBAs. There is no creative vision for the company at the top and that lack of leadership shows from the top down. When was the last time you heard the Honda CEO say anything? Do you even know who the CEO is? I don't. Where is Honda's vision statement? What are their goals? I dunno. Sell as many civics as possible I'm guessing.

Honda spent millions on the OwnerLink website. Do you even know what that is? If so are you registered? I'm not, what's the point? s2ki has 2000 paying members, almost 40000 users and we are directly responsible for hundreds of S2000 sales each year. They don't even return my phone calls so I don't even bother making them anymore. I can't even make a t-shirt that says "S2000" on it without getting a cease and desist letter by registered mail.

I'm not a fan of peons and I have no interest in dealing with them. A decline in S2000 sales is a direct result of suffocation from within Honda and nothing more. My car is over 5 years old and I still have people stop me to talk about it. Those are customers and they are doing what they have been doing in increasing numbers; walking away and buying something else.

The 2-seat roadster/sub-GT market is as strong as it has ever been in the history of the automotive industry. There isn't a manufacturer of note that isn't making one! BMW, Mercedes, Ford, Mazda x2, Pontiac, Chevrolet, Cadillac, Toyota and yes, contrary to what Honda themselves is telling you even Honda. Don't blame the market. The market is fine. Blame the geniuses at Honda for limping in, loitering and eventually fading out of it.

They will eventually see the numbers drop so low that the wizoos will say "there is no market for it anymore, we should cancel it" and they will. This year? Next year? Something like that. I'm sure Honda's execs are chanting "die bitch die" as I write this.

Comparison with the fate of the NSX is not far off.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:36 AM

Old 06-08-2005, 10:37 AM

True, but so very sad.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by cthree,Jun 8 2005, 10:24 AM
The reason for declining sales is that Honda is using the Adam Smith method of marketing. Demand could easily outstrip supply again with just the smallest amount of effort on Honda's part, effort they don't seem all that interested in making. The only ad I've seen for the S2000 in the past 2 years is in a Ridgeline commercial!

They don't race it. The RX-8 and the 350Z are both racing in Grand Am Cup. They don't advertise it, anywhere. They don't capitalize on the ownership experience (aka s2ki) like say BMW does with BMWCCA. They don't do shit in fact. Those sales are driven entirely by word of mouth (aka s2ki) and nothing more. I'm surprised they sold that many.

Bottom line is that Honda's marketing department is driven by volume and that volume comes from the Civic, Accord and Acura sedans. It's all about short term thinking and about meeting this months quotas. There is no reward for creative thinking and emphasis on long term goals.

What Honda has going for them (or against as may be the case long-term) is a rock-solid engineering team and excellent manufacturing and quality control. The entire organization rests on these assets. As for the rest of the company, dead weight.

Honda is run by accountants and MBAs. There is no creative vision for the company at the top and that lack of leadership shows from the top down. When was the last time you heard the Honda CEO say anything? Do you even know who the CEO is? I don't. Where is Honda's vision statement? What are their goals? I dunno. Sell as many civics as possible I'm guessing.

Honda spent millions on the OwnerLink website. Do you even know what that is? If so are you registered? I'm not, what's the point? s2ki has 2000 paying members, almost 40000 users and we are directly responsible for hundreds of S2000 sales each year. They don't even return my phone calls so I don't even bother making them anymore. I can't even make a t-shirt that says "S2000" on it without getting a cease and desist letter by registered mail.

I'm not a fan of peons and I have no interest in dealing with them. A decline in S2000 sales is a direct result of suffocation from within Honda and nothing more. My car is over 5 years old and I still have people stop me to talk about it. Those are customers and they are doing what they have been doing in increasing numbers; walking away and buying something else.

The 2-seat roadster/sub-GT market is as strong as it has ever been in the history of the automotive industry. There isn't a manufacturer of note that isn't making one! BMW, Mercedes, Ford, Mazda x2, Pontiac, Chevrolet, Cadillac, Toyota and yes, contrary to what Honda themselves is telling you even Honda. Don't blame the market. The market is fine. Blame the geniuses at Honda for limping in, loitering and eventually fading out of it.

They will eventually see the numbers drop so low that the wizoos will say "there is no market for it anymore, we should cancel it" and they will. This year? Next year? Something like that. I'm sure Honda's execs are chanting "die bitch die" as I write this.

Comparison with the fate of the NSX is not far off.
Very well put and sadly accurate. Thumbs down for Honda execs, stop betting on horse races online and get off your ass to earn that 500+ an hour you're making....
Old 06-08-2005, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by SilverKnight,Jun 8 2005, 11:24 AM
Cut it honda cut it, I don't want the s2000 to be like the NSX....
The S2000 is still cutting edge though. For the price it performs above par with it's competitors. Who else do you know that makes a 240hp naturally aspirated 4 cylinder?

The NSX on the other hand is an underachiever for it's price range now. Granted when it came out in the early 90's it was top of the line, but Honda got lazy and didn't make any improvements to keep it up to par.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:48 AM

Great post cthree!!!

Craig
Old 06-08-2005, 10:56 AM

Insurance rates are going up as well; this is due to the amount of wrecks by the younger owners... I called for an '05 quote and it was much higher than it was for my '02. Even w/ two other vehicles on the policy... The S was my only car for a year back in 2003.

(edit)
'06 Si will probably be my next 6MT but my agent insists I may change my mind after getting the insurance quote. The Honda/Acura badge is taking a beating. For comparison I asked for 350Z quote and it was cheaper than my '05 TL.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:06 AM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

think sales are decreasing due to other roadster models being put out at more affordable prices.

Saturn Sky
Pontiac Solstic

etc....
etc....
WTF are to talking about? The Saturn isn't even out yet and I don't think the Pontiacs have really hit the street yet. Neither of those cars have have any measurable effect on S2000 sales!

Quick Reply: New S200 sales continue To decline