S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New owner's tonneau cover question

Old 11-05-2000, 05:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I took delivery, we had quite a bit of difficulty attaching the tonneau cover (convertible top cover) to the four snap nibbens on the back of the interior panel behind the rear seats. These attachments were low enough that we (Dick Weber, the dealer) and I couldn't get our hands down. Finally we partly raised the top and pushed through the roof to attach them.

In the MY2001 owner's manual (page 77) it looks like the attachments on the the back of the interior panel are higher than on my car or perhaps the top retracts further down.

I've read discussions about the tonneau cover before but I'm not sure they addressed this problem.

Does anyone have any hints?

Here is a second question about the tonneau cover. The elastic straps on the outside attachments made a buzzy noise when driving above 55 mph. Twisting the elastic and reattaching solved it. Is this normal?

Barry
'01 #52
Old 11-05-2000, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my car last night, but my experience with these covers from past convertibles is they are tough as hell to get on the first few times, especially in cold weather. If they are heated up in the sun first then they go on easier and with time they stretch some and become a snap. Then again maybe it will always be a *****
Old 11-05-2000, 06:06 AM

It seems that most people find the cover difficult to install esp. at first. I have found that the cover becomes easier to install when:
a. it has been installed several times
b. it has been on the car recently
c. it is warmer

I have never had the problem with the straps buzzing. Were they loose before you twisted them?
Old 11-05-2000, 08:35 AM

The cover does get easier to install, remove with time. Re. the elastic "buzzing" I have had the same problem. Be sure to check that the cover is not being positioned over the seat belt loop holders on the top of the seats. I was doing that and when corrected, the buzzing stopped. Also, check to make sure the tabs on the trailing edge stay in position and do not pop out when you are driving. Usually the buzzing is a sign that they have popped out. Try pushing the convertable top down with your hand before placing the cover over it.. Hope that helps.

Enjoy your new s2k and CONGRATULATIONS!
Old 11-05-2000, 08:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually it is getting it off that is difficult because you do have to get your hands to the snaps. When installing it all you have to do is shove the snaps over the pins, you shouldn
Old 11-05-2000, 12:24 PM

I have the same problem, and it seems the top doesn't go down all the way. Put it back up about half way, then down again (usually 2 or 3 times) and it finally drops all the way down. The dealer is going to check this when they take my baby apart to do the seat belt recall.
Old 11-05-2000, 12:25 PM

Since deploying the top is as easy as rolling down a window, you'll find--as most owners online have found--that the boot will remain folded up in your garage, never to be used except during photo sessions. It adds a nearly useless, time consuming step to the gitupango process.

Old 11-05-2000, 12:29 PM

I had a terrible buzzing from my passenger side elastic strap. Had it for weeks and never went away. I fixed it by sewing a 2" wide fabric tube around the strap. No buzz since then!

I had to remove the tonneu cover in the rain the other day. Almost impossible to undo the snaps when your hands are wet. I've been thinking of attaching string to the snaps so I can pull them easier.
Old 11-05-2000, 12:52 PM

The top cover is difficult to use at first but it does get a little better with time. I rarely use mine because of the hassle.
I usually park with the top up out of habit to keep sunlight off the interior of the top and keep the seats a little cooler in summer. My old Miata top had no protection from UV damage when folded so it was always a good idea to use the boot if the top was down in the sunlight. I don't know how well the interior side of our S2000 top is protected from UV. All I know is that the cover is too large to carry in the trunk when you are not using it.

[This message has been edited by svann (edited November 05, 2000).]
Old 11-05-2000, 01:49 PM

what's the point of the cover anyway? besides protecting from dust...

Quick Reply: New owner's tonneau cover question