S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New MX-5 Miata or used S2000?

Old 08-05-2005, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCMusicJunkie,Aug 5 2005, 04:00 PM
On a drive down PCH I would rather have the Miata... for a twisty road I would rather have the S2000.
Really ?

On south bound PCH from about 2 miles before Newport Coast Drive all the way into Laguna Beach, no other car is better than S2000, except Ferraris and Porches and cars that cost a lot more than $50k. Also Newport Coast Drive from PCH to Bonita Canyon Road, S2000 is really shining.

But I agreed with you that the poster should test drive both cars and buy what he likes best.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TR-S2K,Aug 5 2005, 03:14 PM
Really ?

On south bound PCH from about 2 miles before Newport Coast Drive all the way into Laguna Beach, no other car is better than S2000, except Ferraris and Porches and cars that cost a lot more than $50k. Also Newport Coast Drive from PCH to Bonita Canyon Road, S2000 is really shining.

But I agreed with you that the poster should test drive both cars and buy what he likes best.
Honestly, for a leisurely drive, my old Miata was more fun. The upper-limits of the S2000 are so high, the car feels a bit dull when you're just cruising along.

There are other reasons I said that too. Did you know the windshield of the Miata has always been intentionally designed to allow more airflow into the cabin? It's just the little things.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Justapickup,Aug 5 2005, 02:41 PM
When I bought my 94 Miata (used), I knew it would be a fun car to drive, but I didn't realized how much fun I'd have. I've gotten so addicted to driving the Miata that I'm thinking I should always have a Miata in the household from now on. 8-)) I've always liked the S2000 as well. My question is it that much more fun to drive than the Miata? In other words, is the S2000 everything the Miata is (fun factor, performance, handling,....) plus a little bit more? I know it weighs a ton more, so that's something that I hate, weight in a car. My Miata checks in at 29xx lbs I believe. You can have all the power in the world, but when you make a turn, the weight shows, despite all the fancy engineering, you cannot fight the laws of physics. I'm reading the latest issue of Motor Trend, and really like the new Miata, err, MX-5, a lot. But I know the wait is long. Bottom line is, do you think that it's better to get a used S2000 or wait a few months for the new MX-5? I'm comparing these 2 since the prices are comparable.

Thanks,

maybe the miata is more of a challenge to drive since its not as
equiped as the S.
It seems to me that they are designing the miata more like the S.
There is no question which to choose.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:41 PM

Loved my Miata, but it wasn't enough. And putting big $'s into a car is like shredding money when you sell it. So I bit the bullet and haven't regretted it for a minute. imo, the s2000 is more fun driven hard, easier to cruise around in casually, and better quality. You get what you pay for.

Either will give lots of grins, so make sure it's what you really want. If you're "settling" for the MX-5, it'll just be a matter of time before you end up upgrading.

Mark
Old 08-05-2005, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by OCMusicJunkie,Aug 5 2005, 03:24 PM
Honestly, for a leisurely drive, my old Miata was more fun. The upper-limits of the S2000 are so high, the car feels a bit dull when you're just cruising along.
how do you want the car to feel when your cruising? why don't you get an
old cadillac convertible boat for cruising?

you cruz in the S and if you want power then you downshift. nuff sed. its no comparison. most miata;s come with a big "GAY" connotation too. the S on the other hand is a piece of work. I think Fords are pieces of JUNK too.
pay the extra and get a new ap2. its got more low end and probably is a better cruiser.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by OCMusicJunkie,Aug 5 2005, 04:24 PM
... The upper-limits of the S2000 are so high, the car feels a bit dull when you're just cruising along.
True.
The fun in S2000 began at 5000 rpm and/or at speed above 70mph on winding roads.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by wwwracer,Aug 5 2005, 03:42 PM
how do you want the car to feel when your cruising? why don't you get an
old cadillac convertable boat for cruising?

you cruz in the S and if you want power then you downshift. nuff sed. its no comparison. the miata has a big "GAY" connotation too. the S on the other hand is a piece of work. I think Fords are pieces of JUNK too.
pay the extra and get a new ap2. its got more low end and probably is a better cruiser.
If you really think the Miata is a Ford just because they are affiliated, you're a tool.

Lets play this game.

Yamaha made the engine for the Taurus SHO. Yamaha also made the 2zz engine for Toyota, which is used by Lotus for the Elise. So, I don't want that POS Ford Elise.

If you think the Miata is a "gay" car, it shows you have no idea about automotive history. The Miata was the first car to reinvent the convertible roadster market in America. The S2000 likely would have never been built without the Miata.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:53 PM

What are your needs? Speed or pure driving experience.

When I test drove current gen Miata & 02 & 04 S2000, this is what I felt.
1. Miata has better steering feel than S2000.
2. But, Miata is slower at full throttle.
3. S2000 shows its heavier weight... which is too bad. (S2000 stock brakes are pretty good, but they don't have great initial bite in my experience.)

Miata is an excellent car for cruising. S2000 is almost fun when it comes to cruising, but to enjoy it, you really gotta drive a bit more aggressive (aka. not relaxed).

Wait 'til NC MX-5 comes out, then test drive both & make your decision.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:57 PM

I will always look at Miata's with fondness. They are tremendous fun. I considered (briefly) an MSM at the time I was looking for my S. I also considered a 350Z Roadster.

But I already had the Miata experience - driving fun and the fantastic community of people.

Once I sold my Miata and had my S in hand - I have never looked back at my decision. The S is exhilerating and as much fun to drive plus the titilation of a performancer vehicle. Looks wise my S is more of a looker than any Miata built or modded. It (the S) will never be as cute but I was done with cute. The S community - takes a bit of getting used to - but we're an awesome bunch as well. We may have a bit more edge to us (as a group)...

Drive an S, drive a new NC - it's is a very nice looking car - Mazda appears to have gotten it right. It'll need mods (oily bits actually)_ to match the performance of the S. Having the NC in hand will be nice for about 6 months to a year but after that you'll have to live with the vehicle for some time longer and only you know what'll meed you ego & performance needs..

After a good drive of both. You'll know what's right for you. I did.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by OCMusicJunkie,Aug 5 2005, 03:24 PM
the s2k is NEVER boring, and i would much much much rather be seen in a s2k over a miata, just my opinion

Quick Reply: New MX-5 Miata or used S2000?