S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New intake

Old 11-13-2004, 06:55 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Default New intake

I like the sound of my car with the air box removed but not the heat stroke the car suffers.

what kind of intake replecates the sound, helps the engine breath? Where to buy? how much? what about the install, i'm pretty much a novice.

Thanks,

Andy
Old 11-13-2004, 09:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinon the best sounding intake would be the Injen or AEM cold air intakes. It has a real deep sound when hitting vtec. .The install is pretty easy, there is just a little cutting that is required of on of the plastic underpanels to allow the intake to breath better. I had the AEM and it was a two piece design, while the Injen was a One piece design (I beleive). The price is around 200 bucks. Check S2KI sponsors list, most can get em for a good price. Also now the new V2 AEM intake has come out and your suppose to gain even more mid range power...so overall its a better intake. But to me, the V1 AEM intakes still sound the best.

Hope this helps...I use to have the AEM and till this day I still think it sound the best in VTEC.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:11 AM

I still have my stock airbox on right now, and I've been looking for an intake that will give me the best gains in terms of power. I really like the design of the Comptech intake, especially since the carbon fiber cover makes it difficult to suck up water, which can be a problem in Dallas with the unexpected rain storms and all...i just wanted to know if anyone has the Comptech CAI, and if it was worth the money and if it gave you good gains...
Old 11-13-2004, 10:49 AM

you wont see too much gains from any intakes.
if i can get anything i would get:
Mugen
J's
TODA ITB

one of those.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:32 AM

the aem v2 would be the way to go but you will need to do other things to accomidate it as it could get you in trouble during wet seasons. If it rains a lot at where you live, you should consider something else like a comptech, etc.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:14 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

And of course there's always one of these which will provide improved throttle response and mid range performance while allowing you to retain your factory airbox which provides excellent protection against water and the possibility of hydrolock.

More pics...
http://www.prestigeautoaccessories.com/pho...t=579&password=
Old 11-13-2004, 12:50 PM
Former Sponsor

All those are good choices...but he wanted to replicate the sound of the intake box off. The J's, Mugen, or spoon style snorkle dosn't replicate the sound...its pretty damn quite in VTEC. I dono about the Comptec CAI though...But I know for a fact that the AEM and Injen CAI's do replicate the sound with some gains.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:45 PM

http://www.importtuninggarage.com/AEMintake.html

AEM V2
Old 11-13-2004, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FormulaBMWracer,Nov 13 2004, 11:11 AM
I still have my stock airbox on right now, and I've been looking for an intake that will give me the best gains in terms of power. I really like the design of the Comptech intake, especially since the carbon fiber cover makes it difficult to suck up water, which can be a problem in Dallas with the unexpected rain storms and all...i just wanted to know if anyone has the Comptech CAI, and if it was worth the money and if it gave you good gains...
Get the AEM V2. I would have to second others' opinions on how good this sound, especially at the Vtec transition. And like others have said, you won't find much gain with an intake.

Don't worry about rain. Too many people are scared to death of hydrolock. Can it happen? Yes. Will it happen? Not unless you drive through water deep enough to submerge your intake filter. Or unless you don't take proper precautions on protecting your filter from water dripping on it from the rain channels under the hood (That is where most cai intake owners have had problems with water, I think.).

There's a hole along the rain channel under the hood for water to drain away. After the AEM is installed, this hole is directly over the filter. In a heavy downpour in which the car sits for a long period of time, enough water may drip onto the filter to pool inside the intake tube. Then when you start your car, well you know the rest.

Do what I did, put a little piece of electrical tape over that hole and never worry again. Oh, by the way, we've had three hurricanes come through dumping at least 6 to 8 inches of rain each time and not so much as a drop got on my filter while it was parked. I've driven in blinding rain and not had a problem. Really deep standing water is your only worry. In that case, just get a boat.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:51 PM
WPS

someone suggested before to unclip the front clips and angle the front of the cover up to have the sound and not too much heak soat. not sure if it works.

Quick Reply: New intake