S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New here, couple questions

Old 08-11-2007, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here, couple questions

Ok I'll be honest, I haven't searched this place yet, and I thought it might be interesting to hear what people think rather than searching.

I'm new here, as you can tell by the post count and here's my story. Grew up Hawaii, moved to NYC with the intention of not driving for a few years, that's proved tougher than I thought. It's been a few years and i'm ready to own a fun car again. (I kept my hayabusa but sold my gixxer and other toys prior to moving) Also, NYC isn't working out very well for my gf who was going to follow me to NY, but she got sidetracked by a great career offer. So after a while of doing the long distance thing with her, i've decided to head back to honolulu and take up a long standing job offer I had there. My busa is back there, and I need a car, I got a beater truck as a daily driver, so whatever i choose would be for 2-3 days a week of commuting and pleasure driving.

Phew, so you know where i'm coming from. I've been looking at the s2k, boxster, z4 and miata. All used (i looked at the new ones, but i have my reservations on the new miata and an 07 s2k... well we'll get into that in a bit) and as much as I'd love to get the porsche, it may not be the smartest choice right now, as my gf said "you're too young to own something so.... mid life crisis-y".

So I'm leaning heavily towards the s2k, which I've always liked. Problem I had with the 06-07 was the steering and the DBW. It felt so dead, kinda like when i cranked up the steering damper on my old gixxer. All my inputs felt dampened and I didn't feel like the car gave me anything back. the drive by wire was interesting, but again I felt disconnected. i honestly thought I would like it since the drive by wire on yamaha's bikes was so impressive, i was expecting the same feel, only better cause it's honda. I guess part of me needs to feel connected to the engine, I've owned quite a few older sporty cars, (rx-7's, MG's, a triumph etc...)

my thoughts on the s2k's.

the 00 and 01 don't much appeal to me cause of the lack of a glass window (same prob that the older porshe has) and while I know I can replace it, I'm not looking to replace parts as soon as i buy it. I wanna enjoy it for a while before I have to start tinkering with it. i've driven a 2000 with 10000 miles and it was great fun, the feedback from the car was much more raw than on the newer model.

the 02 and 03 are great, steering felt good, but I have not found any that were bone stock. The 02 and 03 i've driven had tein suspensions, exhausts and intakes, i'm hoping a stock one pops up on craigslist or at a dealer soon so I can check it out. I do not want to be a target for cops, i did that in high school and my busa attracts enough attention (stretched +9 and polished etc....) An s2k attracts enough attention stock, i don't need it to be loud too.

My fave of the bunch is the 04-05. I like the new wheels, and feedback was still good, the new motor made it a little more fun going up hills ( my folks live at the top of a fun drive, borrowed a buddy's 05 for a day.)

So ultimately I'm asking, what is everyones favorite model year? and more importantly why?

Also what should I look for as I start looking for used s2k's, any particular wear spots, or little issues that I can spot as I'm searching?

I'm hoping to pick one up towards the end of this year and ship it back to hawaii as I move. I'm hoping that someone needs to sell their convertible as the winter sets in and I'll be there with cash to take it off their hands, then promptly drive it to Cali and get it on a boat.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:40 PM

Well I'd have to say that the '01 is my favorite... but I have a little bias in that area. Personally I would probably go for one of those modded '02-'03s. A little modified intake (and as long as its not the invidia exhaust) or exhaust would not be a huge deal. I can't speak for police in Honolulu, but here I have not ever had a problem with it. As long as its not an obnoxiously loud exhaust, you should be alright.
If you really want an uncompromised roadster, stick wtih the AP1 ('00-'03)... it has a more extreme driving experience.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:45 PM

Interesting comment, what made the driving experience more extreme on the older ones?

I know the suspension geometry was changed at one point (04 i think?) and then obviously the motor... i can't wait to try another older one, i just hope i haven't forgotten the 04-05 experience by then.

I'm sure everyone will be a little biased to whatever m/o they own, but it's still interesting to see what people have and why.

thanks for the comment.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:49 PM

No problem; I'm not sure how extreme of a difference you're going to notice; I think you'd be happy in any* S2000, to be honest. To me, there is just something about hitting that 9000RPM Redline.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:55 PM

oh right the redline changed with the new engine right? i'll have to give it a shot, that was one of my fav things in my old rx-7 (lightened rotors) with the 11k redline. power ran out about 9 though, so really you shifted at 9-9200, but the 11k redline was still fun.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:55 AM

Look at these two youtube videos. (in two parts).
Top Gear compares the boxster, Z4, and S2000 (sorry no miata.)

Decent and fair comparison

part 1:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LX35GYuZjnI

part 2:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=z0jHdDmKZd4
Old 08-12-2007, 11:03 AM

The older ones had a good bit stiffer suspension setup in the rear, so they are a bit more "unsettled" feeling through rough corners (tail-happy). I think it adds to the character of the car... Plus, getting the rear end out every now and then is not a bad thing, as long as its controlled and in a good situation. They are more prone to oversteer, while the MY02-03's are more neutral. Check out the spring rates on the years as they rise.... rear gets softer and front gets firmer (I believe)...

I also noticed that the MY00-01 are more harsh sounding in the interior... Dont know why, but my another owner in town's MY02 sounds a good bit more docile than mine (MY00), even before I swapped the exhaust and the intake.

And as far as cops go, you can get an aftermarket exhaust that is just about as quite as the OEM one... (fujitsubo, or mugen, for example).

John
Old 08-12-2007, 04:50 PM

thanks guys. i'm at work atm, but i'll check out those vids when i get home.

John, (great name btw, and it's so much better spelled with an "h." of course you now know i'm a John as well.) Tail happy is a fun thing. Luckily I've got a while longer to make a decision. It seems I'll be able to find anything I'm looking for, there are so many s2k's in the used market.